Find
Notify
Tools

PG case recert?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted
Getting a Reid case and liner ready for recert.
Do you have to remove the reverse piston for recert inspection?
How much is the cost now?

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm the only guy who recerts his reid PG case??

Bruce Lee Cool

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
It's been just over a year since I did both of my cases. I can't answer your question on the piston.

I believe Reid got $75 for the recert and it cost roughly the same, total, for shipping both ways. So $150 total cost for each case.

The medium heavy-duty moving box from Lowe's (blue) was a good fit size-wise.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3149 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Tony thank you for your reply.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Bruce I stripped my case completely and cleaned it...
Got a perfect box from Lowes I think it was and sent it to TSR....$75 to recert and shipping both ways....

I am in NJ and TSR is in NH....not to bad on shipping for me

I doubt you really need to remove reverse piston. It's a struggle putting that back in with the home made compressor I had...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rich.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Getting the piston out was always the problem. Even with air they would usually c-ock in the bore and were just a pain in the butt.

I finally drilled and tapped two 8-32 holes in the piston edges opposite each other. Then I could thread in a couple of screws and voila, two pairs of pliers and pull it right out.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Vern my home made compressor made accessing the retainer snap ring tough. Poor design on my part but I rarely used it....

My issue last time was I had some new parts including a hardened retainer plate and never checked the fit before attempting to compress the heavier springs...Plate got stuck on case and was bent before I caught it....Tossed it in the trash and put the stock plate back in with stock springs, I think....

Powerglides are about as simple a trans as you can get really....Not much in there and very few special tools needed but that reverse compressor is one...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
GOOD QUESTION.....REID DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THE REVERSE PISTON...BUT...IF A DROP OF TRANS. FLUID SPILLS OUT...YOU'LL GET A PHONE CALL TO NEVER DO THAT AGAIN OR

THEY'LL CHARGE A .$ 100 BUCKS FOR CLEANING.....ASK ME HOW I KNOW...

Posts: 58 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DON KALINA:
GOOD QUESTION.....REID DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THE REVERSE PISTON...BUT...IF A DROP OF TRANS. FLUID SPILLS OUT...YOU'LL GET A PHONE CALL TO NEVER DO THAT AGAIN OR

THEY'LL CHARGE A .$ 100 BUCKS FOR CLEANING.....ASK ME HOW I KNOW...

Don, this is quite true. I called Reid direct. They don't care if the reverse piston is installed, as long as it is totally devoid of ATF.
Also the new price is $175.00
$175.00 is still much cheaper than the $300.00 then the last one cost me.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Williams:

Don, this is quite true. I called Reid direct. They don't care if the reverse piston is installed, as long as it is totally devoid of ATF.
Also the new price is $175.00
$175.00 is still much cheaper than the $300.00 then the last one cost me.

It sucks getting old.
I went to pick up case and the charges were $150.00
I questioned why was the previous $300?
After digging up the invoice I find that I have had a case of oldtimers again, as the cert charge was $150 and with the addition of other items my total bill was just over $300.00

Bruce Lee Cool