DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Freightliner Tech?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freightliner Tech?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Looking for a little help with some dash issues.......thanks in advance, Howie

Posts: 72 | Location: SYRACUSE,NEW YORK | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Gauge and or light issue? Does this have a VDC module?
Year, Make, Model Etc.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It's a 07 columbia. When driving the ABS/wheel spin light will come on, dash lights will flicker, the blower will stop, and the shift indicator light with go out. All worse when driving with headlights on, acts light a voltage issue....outside lights all act perfect. And the dash is all gauges......

Posts: 72 | Location: SYRACUSE,NEW YORK | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Check all the battery connections first on all the batteries. Especially the #10 feeds off the battery's Check the main ground to chassis ground from the battery. Look on the LHS of the steering column lower area. There may be a bracket welded there with several grounds from the dash. When checking the battery leads Smaller feeds. Do a tug on the smaller leads
See if there are any fusable links off any of the batteries and check/lightly flex the links them selves. I have had a ton of what looks like good fusable links, only being held by one strand of wire within the link/wire.

Also look on the left front outboard side next to the steer wheel. There on most FL is another chassis ground.. On this model, is the fuse panel in back or on top area of the glove box.

I only have been doing this for 35 plus years. I do this for a living with truck road service.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The fuse panel is on top of the passenger side dash…...Thank you very much, I will check them out. I did have a problem awhile back with the ground stud on the starter loosening up, but I believe that's all good now.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
One thing i forgot to mention. Pull the cover off the dash where the fuse panel is. Look closely and see if there are any forms of water stains or corrosion due to a upper front glass leak or pillar seepage into the fuse area.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Already checked that, It looks perfect.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Noticed while driving at night. About every hour or more seems all the lights flicker one time as in its cycling through a check?? Been doing this since we bought it.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
The lights should not flicker at all.. Nothing to cycle. Could be in fact a bad diode in the alternator. The myth of oh it's charging, it's good to go. Not always the case. That a Delco 22SI pad mount alternator? Case in point. 4 battery system. You would never know if one of the batteries are on the way out. since everything appears ok. Always look at the batteries visually.

See if the case looks like it's starting to look ballooned on the sides.. Indicative of over 15.8 volt overcharge condition. Normally when i check batteries, charge it up,>>load test>>sulfation test. 3 minute charge @ 20 amps with a battery charger, meter should not exceed 15.8 volts.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
The lights should not flicker at all.. Nothing to cycle. Could be in fact a bad diode in the alternator. The myth of oh it's charging, it's good to go. Not always the case. That a Delco 22SI pad mount alternator? Case in point. 4 battery system. You would never know if one of the batteries are on the way out. since everything appears ok. Always look at the batteries visually.

See if the case looks like it's starting to look ballooned on the sides.. Indicative of over 15.8 volt overcharge condition. Normally when i check batteries, charge it up,>>load test>>sulfation test. 3 minute charge @ 20 amps with a battery charger, meter should not exceed 15.8 volts.

Thanks TD! Batteries are less than 4 old. doesn't mean squat though.. Pretty sure its a Delco. Its not a Powermaster, Leece Neville or Niehoff... I'll check for bad or leaking diode. Has 2 new Interstate Group 31S. Its done this for 20K miles or more..

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post