DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Carburetor jet question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carburetor jet question
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted
looking at replacement jets for a Holley carb. On Holley's site they list Holley, QFT and Demon jets. For a #78 jet they list different size orifice for the same jet number. I understand jets are rated for flow but the Holley is .089 and the others are listed as .078.
Is there really that big of a difference or is it a mistake? Is there a difference in the flow or quality between these jets? There is a price difference which seems odd, are the cheap ones outsourced?, or of lower quality? Are the genuine Holley actually any better? or better quality as closer matched?

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Only Holley jets that are accurate are the air bleeds. For mains, buy someone else's. I like the BLP jets especially the ones that have the jet extension built in. Whoever's you buy should have the hole size, not the flow numbers. Holley quit using their flow machine many many years and you will chase your tail. Buy them in .002 increments and never look back.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
Holley jets are rated by flow. The flow is determined by the length of the orifice and the diameter of that orifice (L/D ratio). While two different numbered jets can have the same orifice diameter the length can be different. Thus different flow amounts. A chamfer on the leading and trailing edge of the orifice alters flow also. This was all worked out in 1919 by NASA, then NACA. in TR-49 available on line.

However, I use BLP jets. The are flow rated also. I just go up or down 2 numbers at a time as needed. Plus, as noted they are more accurate. The Holley air correctors are sh?t. Pin one to find out. Buy BLP correctors.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
I pin everything when making a air bleed or jet change. I have found the Holley air bleeds very accurate when pinning.

302-786-1078

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
So what about the screw in style jet extensions that place the jet out into the bowl? Do these change the flow of the jet?
I pinned a couple of Holley main jets and did find a slight difference between them.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Found BLP products accurate on the mains.I pin everything. Cheap investment is a pin kit. Holley
AB's found accurate also.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Can you recommend a pin gage and drill set.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 235 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Two company sell them, but they sure do look like the same product...

https://www.ezbore.net/Pin-Gau...to-250-p/nog2061.htm

https://blp.com/cart/index.php..._205&products_id=953

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Well BLP offers 2 sets on the pins.
.011-.060
.061-.250
The EZ bore pins area "minus" tolerance pin kit.
.0000-.0002 of which is undersized. They were used back in my karting days>> Spec Check. When you hope you never get checked. lol. I know nothing.
I will have to look at the set i have in the cabinet at the shop and get you a name.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
So what about the screw in style jet extensions that place the jet out into the bowl? Do these change the flow of the jet?

Don't use them. Sometimes the orifices in the extensions are smaller than the jet. This is another reason to use the extended BLP jets. Or you can make your own over the jet extensions if you have to use Holley jets.

My experience with the Holley correctors has been they don't meet my standards. .001 variance in a hole that small is more critical than the same variance in a hole larger than .100 I either drill my own or buy the BLP correctors.

Buy both sets of pin gauges and get the metric to SAE conversion chart from McMaster-Carr.
they have the metric drills that with get you those sizes that are in between the SAE sizes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nomad,

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
For pin gauges get the minus set, so it fits the hole you are putting it in.

As far as jets I use BLP jets almost exclusively. They have the widest selection of sizes and they have three different thread pitches to be able to go up to .260. I keep Holley jets for those that don't want to switch or just need a set of jets. The different brands are all made differently and you should not mix and match, Holley jets are square edge orifice and some of the others are chamfered. While they may flow the same at a fixed pressure the flow characteristics over the range a carb will see will be different. Stick with the Holley if you want to stick with that style jet. As nomad pointed out avoid threaded jet extensions. If they are reamed as big as they will tolerate you can use up to about an 80 jet, over that the passage starts becoming a restriction. You can make your own with a lathe and 11/32 .014 wall brass tubing, one end cut cleanly and the other end swedged to form a seat for the jet. The jet then slips thru the tube so it is not a restriction to fuel flow.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I'll scrap the screw in extensions and go back to the tubes.
QF and Holley are the same company aren't they? Are the jets the same between the 2? I've got a Holley jet box and that's all I've been using. Went to help someone at the track and I didn't have any 78's so I wanted to restock. I've donated a lot of jets!

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
I don't know what Holley is selling under the QF line now, Holley branded is your best bet.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I have a QF 1050 and have used it for 4+ years with the screw in, 5/16 hex jet extensions that came with that carb.

Jets in the low to mid 90's ( Holley numbers) and have zero problems using those extensions that move the jet back with a notched float...

Carbs I had with slip on brass or steel tubes for secondary jet extensions, the tube fell off occasionally.

That QF carb has been better than any Holley I ever owned......right out of the box...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on pin gauge sets. Just ordered a both sets from ezbore.

David

Posts: 134 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
I have a QF 1050 and have used it for 4+ years with the screw in, 5/16 hex jet extensions that came with that carb.

Jets in the low to mid 90's ( Holley numbers) and have zero problems using those extensions that move the jet back with a notched float...

Carbs I had with slip on brass or steel tubes for secondary jet extensions, the tube fell off occasionally.

That QF carb has been better than any Holley I ever owned......right out of the box...

Slip on extensions are not what I suggest, the ones we are taking about are retained by the jet. Holley sees a machined brass version, 122-5002. The tubes we make have a flange on one end, the jet slips in it and seats on the flange. Low 90's jet can be tolerant of the screw in, ideally the extension needs to be reamed in the low .150 range. The problem arises more when you see an extension in the .136 range and the main jet larger...

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I googled that part number and see 2 different items shown with the same part number.

1 is a brass sleeve and 1 is a screw in extension like I have in my QF carb.

I assume the brass sleeve has the flange at one end that the jet goes thru into the metering block. That does make the most sense for not being a restriction....

I don't recall if I ever had or saw those brass flanged tube types....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
The 122-5002 is the brass flanged type. They were originally in some of the Demon carbs, which Holley absorbed. You will find them in some if not all of the Gen 3 Dominators.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've got a set of those brass sleeve style extensions. My only complaint with them is you can't use a jet tool, only a screwdriver so you better have one that fits the jet good.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post