DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    177 blower carb size?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

177 blower carb size?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Jason Haley
posted
I recently purchased a 177 blower to put on my 6.0 LS engine. According to the math, it's saying that I need somewhere around 1100 CFM of airflow to feed the blower with the RPM (6500-7000) and boost (6-8psi) I plan to run.

That being said, has anyone used a 4500 to 4150 adapter and ran a dominator on one of these blowers? It's drag race only and I plan to run it on methanol, so drivability isn't important.

Slow S-10
Slower Cutlass

Posts: 38 | Location: Smiths Grove, KY | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes. Know more than one doing this.

Posts: 25 | Location: K-Town | Registered: June 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jason Haley
posted Hide Post
Good to know. What are some of the combinations running these blowers?

Slow S-10
Slower Cutlass

Posts: 38 | Location: Smiths Grove, KY | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
ran a 1050cfm on b+m 250 powercharger on meth 477cid bbc you will need alot of fuel volume i suggest a belt drive pump internal regulated i ran blp pump

Posts: 65 | Location: central indiana | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have one on a 392 Hemi my 1940 Ford. It works much better with a vacuum secondary carb (3310) than with a mechanical secondary carb. The little blower really hits with power quickly which blows the tires off. I guess I could just learn how to ease into the throttle but what fun is that?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
3677 has a pretty good setup. I’d take his advice. I guess you could say 3677 knows

Posts: 185 | Location: Indy | Registered: January 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Okay all of the books Carb books and others that tell you how big carb you need are not for race cars. If you have a 5500 or more stall, 4.56 or taller gears it is hard to get too big of a carb.

When I first started really working with race cars (1990???) I had a basic low performance LT-1 355 with 4.88 rear gears 14x32 tires and 5500 stall. I built 3 carbs all the same with rear jet extensions and tuned them in good. The Holley books said it needed like a 435 CFM carb for "Best Performance".
So I set up a 650 double pumper, a 750 and an 850 and went to the track.
I do not remember the exact numbers in the 1/8 but I think the 650 ran about 7.80. Then I put the 750 on there and it ran around 7.50 and the 850 on there and it ran around 7.20. I then put the 650 back on there and it slowed back down. It was significantly faster with a carb way too big and the bigger I went the faster it went.

With a blower you are going to need more air and fuel so I just do not think you can get too big of a carb if you have enough stall and gear. My opinion. You did not mention stall and gear ratio or tire size but if it is a race only car it should have enough.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3973 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Good idea would be to sell the carb and go with a toilet or terminator.

Posts: 185 | Location: Indy | Registered: January 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I do know and have lots of time invested in these small 250 blowers and did go to a flying toilet on my set up worked very well

Posts: 65 | Location: central indiana | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jason Haley
posted Hide Post
I ended up purchasing a used 1200cfm twin blade main body and throttle body, so I'm going to put together a twin blade methanol carb and try it.

Slow S-10
Slower Cutlass

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Max Moore
posted Hide Post
We run a 1050 Rupert alky dominator on our 400 SBC with Weiand 177 blower with belt drive pump, fuel log with the return on the log runs pretty fair 4.80s in the nice cool weather 4.90s in the heat very easy on parts. Racecraft 235"

Posts: 410 | Location: NE AR | Registered: December 13, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
You need to run two of the biggest carbs you can find. Make an adapter..... Falling of chair laughing

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post