DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Tbs 250 blower and idle air bleeds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tbs 250 blower and idle air bleeds
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Took car out for first time over the weekend and combo runs pretty well considering I’m pretty gentle on it thus far.

However it builds heat pretty quickly during warm up and driving to the lanes. Easily build 10-15 degrees driving to the lanes. Driven. N/a car would build a few degrees tops.
During the pass it’s builds 10-12 degrees as I expected.

Carb is an APD 1250, which was on the car prior to the blower. I richened the idle mixture screws an additional turn and it helped some.

With the addition of the blower, is a smaller idle bleed something typical that would need to administered? Not sure what air bleed is currently, as I received it second hand without build sheet and never had a reason to check when na. I’ll measure at work.

Also I’m told the idle on an APD is the middle bleed?

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
I personally cant answer your question, but can tell you that Oakley Motorsports has been turning out some baby blower engines for fast bracket racing, and they have a good handle on it .. Maybe Philip or Jay could give you some advice ...and I think they use a fair amount of APD carbs as well ...

as far as the idle air bleed , yes it's the middle one ..

Posts: 783 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
do what you want but I wouldnt run the idle any richer then you have to as it will ruin your oil much quicker... thats just my opinion..

run the fan when driving to the lanes..

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Running a vacuum pump...simply because well...I had it...never had an issue with moisture prior.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
what is the cam specs

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
.824/.824 285/312 @ 0.050 114ls installed at 110

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Get a pin gage and check what you have now. Call Randy at APD he will get you setup

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1988 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
824/.824 285/312 @ 0.050 114ls installed at 110

i would not want to milk the oil with more fuel if it is not needed,if the motor will deck from a low idle then bleeds are close.if it was mine i would want the install at 114 on the cam.i would guess this would help with the heat

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Dragsters:
.824/.824 285/312 @ 0.050 114ls installed at 110

Check that again, you put "ls" behind the 114.
If the ls stands for LSA (lobe separation angle) opposed to ICL (Intake center line) that could be it.....its not likely that the ICL is 114, but....
114 LSA is not uncommon for boosted/power adder grinds. and usually they are in the neighborhood of 110 ICL

Did u get some of that Q16 action Saturday?

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
good catch Jerry, 114 LSA is correct, guess I shouldn't try to respond to a post when i'm still half asleep!

I was there but burnt up high gear the night prior unfortunately. Pretty happy with the combo considering it smoked the clutches.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Payton:
Get a pin gage and check what you have now. Call Randy at APD he will get you setup

Bob. I'll try giving them a call. I did pull the bleed out and measured 0.038"

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Anyone know air flow cfm wise for x amount od for a 350 blower and if they bolt up to std -71 bolt pattern?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Dragsters:
good catch Jerry, 114 LSA is correct, guess I shouldn't try to respond to a post when i'm still half asleep!

I was there but burnt up high gear the night prior unfortunately. Pretty happy with the combo considering it smoked the clutches.

Didnt think it was that, totally understandable....its even worse when your half a sleep and trying to type on the phone keyboard- lol.

Have you made any headway? Would seem odd that the idle circuit could be so lean to cause this without a huge stumble climbing up on the converter.

You running a 10 clutch drum, or at least an 8?

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i spoke with apd...they were non-committal, since i can't make out the serial number on the main body. Did enough reading to make an edu-guess-itimated decision like most things in life lol

I couldn't hear it in the car but it does has a slight stumble when i stab it from 1500ish on video. The plan is to set the sle to 1800 once I get an opportunity to mess with it. Going to try 0.032" on the idle bleed and go from there.

8 clutch drum (root cause was determined, addressed that issue)....thought about 10 until i priced it...rolling the dice with 8 for now lol

DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
4 numbers on the iab is a hefty change, you will know when you hit that limit as the mixture screws will lose any sensitivity.

8 can work perfectly fine, even though more clutch surface is always better. Good to hear you found the culprit though.

Good luck k, hope to see y'all soon

Jerry Kathe

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
if your 4 corner screws are out to 2.5 you are pretty much maxed out.go down on iab but if you have to turn 4 corners in 1 turns thats too small for alky.3/4 for gas.you will loose too much volume of fuel

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
the stumble says go down on iab,also there is a idle feed on the main body that sometimes need opening up

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
ended up finding some 0.035". tried them and much better than previous week. Stumble gone. Granted the weather was horrible.