DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Ultra bell questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultra bell questions
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
Had a bell put on my 400 but got no instructions back. This is going in a 70 Nova BBC with a stock firewall and floor.
1. Where do the 2 allen bolts go?
2. It has extra ears to bolt to something other than a OEM BBC. Can I cut them off? Do I need to cut them off?
3. Does the register of the input shaft need to be checked in relation to the crankshaft?
Thanks for any help

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
The two allen's are for the two bottom bolts on the bellhousing, it's recessed and a regulat bolt/washer wont work.

I have a few trans with ultrabells and one already had the extra ears wacked off lol. It does make installation a little easier depending on your method, but I bet JW and SFI wouldn't approve of it.

I've never had a problem with any input shaft alignment. I've never really checked either, but no problems.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Those extra holes could be for the Buick, Olds, Pontiac blocks.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I guess I should have seen the difference in the holes but I didn't notice. I saw those instructions and that's what made me wonder if I should cut the ears off. I was hoping a racer with the same combo would say they are or aren't a problem. I think you're right Fern. I'm gonna trial fit my shield and hope I don't have any clearance problems. I don't think my trans shield comes anywhere close to the bell. I noticed that they allow the dipstick tube to be attached to bell. Won't it attach the same way as it does on an OEM case?

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
I'm gonna trial fit my shield and hope I don't have any clearance problems. I don't think my trans shield comes anywhere close to the bell. I noticed that they allow the dipstick tube to be attached to bell. Won't it attach the same way as it does on an OEM case?

I use a TCI trans shield for my th400 and easily clears both the Ultrabell and the locking TCI 743802 dipstick.

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HS professor:
The two allen's are for the two bottom bolts on the bellhousing, it's recessed and a regulat bolt/washer wont work.[QUOTE]

This one appears to be different. All the bolt holes are spot faced the same and it looks like a regular hex head bolt would work fine.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
yes, you can cut the extra ears off the bell housing and it will still certify for SFI.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post