Bracket Talk
Ultra bell questions

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/9067060396

April 08, 2020, 01:41 PM
Ron Gusack
Ultra bell questions
Had a bell put on my 400 but got no instructions back. This is going in a 70 Nova BBC with a stock firewall and floor.
1. Where do the 2 allen bolts go?
2. It has extra ears to bolt to something other than a OEM BBC. Can I cut them off? Do I need to cut them off?
3. Does the register of the input shaft need to be checked in relation to the crankshaft?
Thanks for any help
April 08, 2020, 02:15 PM
HS professor
The two allen's are for the two bottom bolts on the bellhousing, it's recessed and a regulat bolt/washer wont work.

I have a few trans with ultrabells and one already had the extra ears wacked off lol. It does make installation a little easier depending on your method, but I bet JW and SFI wouldn't approve of it.

I've never had a problem with any input shaft alignment. I've never really checked either, but no problems.
April 08, 2020, 02:37 PM
markemark
https://static.summitracing.co...ctions/jpt-92450.pdf
April 08, 2020, 03:38 PM
ferndaleflyer
Those extra holes could be for the Buick, Olds, Pontiac blocks.
April 08, 2020, 03:44 PM
Ron Gusack
Thanks for the info. I guess I should have seen the difference in the holes but I didn't notice. I saw those instructions and that's what made me wonder if I should cut the ears off. I was hoping a racer with the same combo would say they are or aren't a problem. I think you're right Fern. I'm gonna trial fit my shield and hope I don't have any clearance problems. I don't think my trans shield comes anywhere close to the bell. I noticed that they allow the dipstick tube to be attached to bell. Won't it attach the same way as it does on an OEM case?
April 08, 2020, 04:03 PM
markemark
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
I'm gonna trial fit my shield and hope I don't have any clearance problems. I don't think my trans shield comes anywhere close to the bell. I noticed that they allow the dipstick tube to be attached to bell. Won't it attach the same way as it does on an OEM case?

I use a TCI trans shield for my th400 and easily clears both the Ultrabell and the locking TCI 743802 dipstick.
April 08, 2020, 07:34 PM
Ron Gusack
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HS professor:
The two allen's are for the two bottom bolts on the bellhousing, it's recessed and a regulat bolt/washer wont work.[QUOTE]

This one appears to be different. All the bolt holes are spot faced the same and it looks like a regular hex head bolt would work fine.
April 08, 2020, 08:02 PM
Alaskaracer
yes, you can cut the extra ears off the bell housing and it will still certify for SFI.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer