DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Starting Line Control
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting Line Control
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
Will a SLC work to allow me to bump in at a given rpm, say 2500, then go to launch rpm, say 2700, when I hit the TB button and then go to WOT when the delay is used up? That would eliminate the 2 step and give me squirter fuel at the hit. I can't get the car to leave clean using the 2step with the 4 wheel line lock. I'm hoping the SLC will allow it to leave like it's in footbrake mode.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Dead On
posted Hide Post
sounds like you have carb issues more than anything else. If your not getting enough fuel from the squirters try larger squirters and a more aggressive squirter cam, don't forget to go to 50cc squirter bowls. the whole SLC and bump box is more of a band aid than a fix, MarkeMark on here is great carb guy and can help you fix your issue.

Posts: 73 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Or go MFI and just say no to squirters.

Terminators to the front.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Dead On
posted Hide Post
I've had problems with the squirts before Shake head

Posts: 73 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
depends on which delay box you have. Most you can program the time for SLE,With K&R you can not.It is 1.1 I think or close to it.It will open throttle and be on two step for that time.

I know because I have K&R and its only thing about it I don't like it.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead On:
sounds like you have carb issues more than anything else. If your not getting enough fuel from the squirters try larger squirters and a more aggressive squirter cam, don't forget to go to 50cc squirter bowls. the whole SLC and bump box is more of a band aid than a fix, MarkeMark on here is great carb guy and can help you fix your issue.

The problem, I think, is that I'm on the 2 step for long enough for the fuel from the squirters to be used up. I'm at .062 on the squirters now with 50 cc pumps and the larger 4500 cam. The mains are flowing at 2500 so I went up 4 jet sizes to see if that would help and it might have been a little better but not much. 60 foot times were 1.39 off the 2 step and 1.29 footbraking. Going to the SLC gets rid of the 2 step which is a plus too. Does the SLC go to the pre-set rpm when the button is pushed and does it go to WOT when the delay is used up? I'm using a Mega 200 delay box.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Instructions for your mega 200 are at biondoracing.com. You can set stage rpm and release with trans brake.

Posts: 20 | Location: Michie,Tn. | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I'd work out the carb problem, sooner or later you'll have to anyway.
My junk is a SBC and a little slower but I can sit on the 2 step a long time with no problem leaving. I've used the 2 linelocks, didn't like it. I use a 2 step to footbrake like a stocker and driver error has had it on the 2 step a lot longer than you really should and it left clean.

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
It isn't going to work how you described. You get a stage RPM and WOT. There aren't 2 different part throttle steps.

You can stage normally and have the enhancer set to 2700, wired to the Transbrake terminal. That way the transbrake (or line locks) would release and the car goes WOT at the same time.

I agree that you have a carb issue though. It isn't uncommon for racers to stage and go right to the wood. The car should still launch cleanly.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
I'd look at a carb issue first.

The way my SLE works is just before I hit the prestage lights, I hit the bump button. This makes my throttle pedal fall to the floor. Holding the pedal to the floor, I roll into the lights at an idle. As soon as I'm staged, I hit the transbrake button and wait. I can sit at an idle as long as I want while waiting for the vehicle in the other lane to stage without being up on the converter.

I top bulb race so as soon as I see a flicker from the top bulb, the transbrake button is released and the throttle snaps to WOT, the delay box starts counting down and when the last yellow bulb comes on, the delay box releases the trans brake.

With a carb, the squirters just need to provide enough extra fuel to prevent a lean bog when the throttle blades are opened. If you're launching with a transbrake/2-step, the throttle blades should be at WOT so squirters are already out of the equation just as long as they got you to WOT without bogging.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. The main reason for wanting the SLE was to eliminate the 2 step and whatever it's doing to the engine internals. The fact that it would also provide throttle opening with squirt is just a bonus. I agree that there's something going on with the carb but if I can kill 2 birds with 1 SLE, why not? The stall speed coming off the 2 step is 3500 and footbraking it's 5k and I lose about a tenth in 60'. Seems really weird. I've fattened it up quite a bit but I can go more.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
My injected car is set up to stage at just off idle, go to 4000 rpm 1 second before the transbrake releases, and go full throttle when the transbrake releases. I have 2 in-line throttle stops on it. The dual cylinder Biondo stop will not allow it. It's a great tool for tire shake and marginal tracks. It only kills about .02 in the 60'if the bleed-off is set pretty fast.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
quote:

The problem, I think, is that I'm on the 2 step for long enough for the fuel from the squirters to be used up. I'm at .062 on the squirters now with 50 cc pumps and the larger 4500 cam. The mains are flowing at 2500 so I went up 4 jet sizes to see if that would help and it might have been a little better but not much. 60 foot times were 1.39 off the 2 step and 1.29 footbraking. Going to the SLC gets rid of the 2 step which is a plus too. Does the SLC go to the pre-set rpm when the button is pushed and does it go to WOT when the delay is used up? I'm using a Mega 200 delay box.

Have you tried putting in a smaller main air bleed? going down .003 should bring the mains in a few hundred earlier.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will a SLC work to allow me to bump in at a given rpm, say 2500, then go to launch rpm, say 2700, when I hit the TB button and then go to WOT when the delay is used up? That would eliminate the 2 step and give me squirter fuel at the hit. I can't get the car to leave clean using the 2step with the 4 wheel line lock. I'm hoping the SLC will allow it to leave like it's in footbrake mode.

Just to be sure. Have you already tightened up the spring on the accelerator pump arm? It'll hurt the off idle while tooling around the pits, but it leaves the full shot available even if staging at a higher throttle plate angle. I'm guessing you have, but I gotta ask. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
quote:

Just to be sure. Have you already tightened up the spring on the accelerator pump arm? It'll hurt the off idle while tooling around the pits, but it leaves the full shot available even if staging at a higher throttle plate angle. I'm guessing you have, but I gotta ask. Take care. Tom Worthington

The problem I'm having is when I try to use the delay box and 2 step. In that case I've used up all the shot because the carb is floored for a couple seconds and then the box releases the brakes and the 2 step. That's when I get the stumble. With a starting line throttle control the carb isn't floored until the delay box tells the throttle control to go to the floor, which is just like it would be if I was footbraking.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted September 09, 2019 10:18 PM Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The problem I'm having is when I try to use the delay box and 2 step. In that case I've used up all the shot because the carb is floored for a couple seconds and then the box releases the brakes and the 2 step. That's when I get the stumble. With a starting line throttle control the carb isn't floored until the delay box tells the throttle control to go to the floor, which is just like it would be if I was footbraking

you still have a carb issue,you may can bandaid arournd it but its still there,questions for thought
is your timing at a fixed number or springs
what bulb do you deck on
have you tried going up to 3500 or greater
is the carb rich enough

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
quote:
posted September 09, 2019 10:18 PM Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The problem I'm having is when I try to use the delay box and 2 step. In that case I've used up all the shot because the carb is floored for a couple seconds and then the box releases the brakes and the 2 step. That's when I get the stumble. With a starting line throttle control the carb isn't floored until the delay box tells the throttle control to go to the floor, which is just like it would be if I was footbraking

you still have a carb issue,you may can bandaid arournd it but its still there,questions for thought
is your timing at a fixed number or springs
what bulb do you deck on
have you tried going up to 3500 or greater
is the carb rich enough

Timing is not locked but only 10° of advance and all in at 2500.
Because I've never raced top bulb before I pretty much floor it as soon as I push the button.
I can't go much above 3k because the brakes get sketchy at 3200.
I went from 90 to 94 to fatten it and it wasn't much better, maybe a little. I only made 1 pass with the 94's.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sr4440:
quote:
quote:

Have you tried putting in a smaller main air bleed? going down .003 should bring the mains in a few hundred earlier.

Joe

The mains start flowing around 2300 now so I haven't gone smaller with the MAB's

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Timing is not locked but only 10° of advance and all in at 2500.
Because I've never raced top bulb before I pretty much floor it as soon as I push the button.

ok i suggest locked timing for sure
if leaving on bottom bulb deck motor on middle bulb

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the light springs might have the timing jumping around when it's on the 2 step, which is another good reason to eliminate it.