DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Run completion formulas...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Run completion formulas...
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I look at an awful lot of run data, and I can’t recall seeing anyone’s car repeat 60’ times on the stop like I’d expect them to wide open.

So Tony, the fact that my dragster ran 1.693, 1.694 and 1.697 in rounds 4, 5 and 6 at Epping last year and the fact that my dragster ran 1.689, 1.695 and 1.695 in rounds 4, 5 and 6 at the MG national event last year and the fact that my dragster ran 1.650, 1.661 , 1.656, 1.658 and 1.660 in rounds 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 at Virginia last year....

tells me you need to look at better data from better cars and you have work to do. Wink

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Doesn't anyone use log book data anymore? I swear some guys wouldn't have a clue as to what their car will run if their laptop crashed.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I don't. All our runs are logged and pertinent info is written on the time slips...weather, TS timer, delay box setting and competitor at a minimum.

Further, my racepak and ifamily software files are downloaded onto a flash drive after every race and I have a back up computer.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
I look at an awful lot of run data, and I can’t recall seeing anyone’s car repeat 60’ times on the stop like I’d expect them to wide open.

So Tony, the fact that my dragster ran 1.693, 1.694 and 1.697 in rounds 4, 5 and 6 at Epping last year and the fact that my dragster ran 1.689, 1.695 and 1.695 in rounds 4, 5 and 6 at the MG national event last year and the fact that my dragster ran 1.650, 1.661 , 1.656, 1.658 and 1.660 in rounds 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 at Virginia last year....

tells me you need to look at better data from better cars and you have work to do. Wink

I never said strings don’t happen, but I also see occasional large jumps for everybody, just like the ones I posted earlier.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't. All our runs are logged and pertinent info is written on the time slips...weather, TS timer, delay box setting and competitor at a minimum.

Further, my racepak and ifamily software files are downloaded onto a flash drive after every race and I have a back up computer.

They print the competitor right on the slip. Surprised you didn’t know that. ;-)

I write most of that stuff on the slips also. I use my weather station and software for a log book probably more than I do for prediction. It is a trade-off though. The convenience of having weather logged automatically and incremental times calculated can cause a little distance from the details.

I look at the laptop screen to put the weather in a category of better, same, or worse from the previous run. What the actual numbers are, like the DA, I usually wouldn’t remember if asked in the lanes.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
their name Razz and my time slips are with me in the lanes too.

quote:

I never said strings don’t happen

you said...

quote:

well now you've seen one SC dragster that repeats 60 foot times and the fact is my car is amongst the best SC cars on the property at every event, if not the best on any given day.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ok gents. Don't give a $uck what you run or have done.

Methods you use with examples or you don't have anything worth saying.

Posts: 1434 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again...

quote:
no formula necessary unless you call simple addition and subtraction a formula. All the info you need is on the time slip.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ski_dwn_it:
So with the software out there and other methods I am one that always double checks things multiple ways....

I use Ifamily SW, but also do it manually especially because I am usually double entered and have run back to back to compare to..

What are your methods formulas/methods for run completion that people employ?

For me I use the known slip vs unknown as follows:

find the difference in:

TT1                 vs             Elimination run 1 with drop @ finish
 60 ft 1.245 known slip           1.250 unknown slip .005      
330 ft 3.777  known slip          3.775 unknown slip   -.002    Inverval change -.007       
660 ft  5.750  known slip         XXX unknown slip   

XXX = 5.750 + (-.007) + (-.002) = 5.741  

Feel free to post the 1/4 mile completions too....

This should be interesting..

I'd say the car is ready to win, if it's on a 5.746 or 7. If it's on a 5.741, I'm working on it.

Shift on time not rpm. The stall vs the power band determines when.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of botmbulb
posted Hide Post
Jesse, are you still carrying the front end?

Posts: 490 | Location: Hammonton, N.J. | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
what was the mph on the two runs?

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok gents. Don't give a $uck what you run or have done.

Methods you use with examples or you don't have anything worth saying.

I’d do the same thing you did, but I just think about it differently.

On your “known slip” the 330-660 time was 1.973. On the second run, the 60-330 was .007 quicker so it stands to reason that the 330-660 might also be .007 quicker.

Take the 330 time from your unknown slip and add 1.966. Same answer of 5.741.

Using the “ratio” method I laid out earlier, 5.750/3.777 = 1.522372

If you multiply that by the 3.775 on your second run, you get 5.7469, or 5.747. That might be correct also, because the interval variance will often be smaller as you progress down the track. But not always! That’s where the extra data points in the 1/4 mile help a lot.

Tony Leonard

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Dragsters:
what was the mph on the two runs?

That’s not relevant to anything, on its own.

Tony Leonard

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
if the driver dumped between the mph and finish line. determine ft/s on the wide open run and ft/s on the pass he lifted "IF" he lifted between the cones.

for instance if the 5.750 pass was 119.25mph. time between cones is 0.377sec

if he lifted and went 116.75mph
time between cones is 0.385sec

So he killed .008, if he went 5.751 round 1...wot would have been 5.743 approx.

say what you want, but i use that method constantly with success.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
That’s exactly why I threw in the “on its own” caveat. You are correct, as long as it was WOT through the first cone. Then you can figure the 330-594 increment also.

Tony Leonard

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by botmbulb:
Jesse, are you still carrying the front end?

Not as far as it once did as I have it detuned a lot with new motor and to prevent the show wheelies.

The times provided before were just pulled from the air to be clear to give an example and to illustrate the thought process used to arrive at a number.

From those actually discussing the topic and not other things one can see the are different methods used. Hence the post/discussion.

Posts: 1434 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Didn't think of that 1 + 1 = 2 Joisy Math

quote:
Not as far as it once did as I have it detuned a lot with new motor and to prevent the show wheelies.

FYI, this racer from Joisy won the biggest payday ever in all of drag racing with "show wheelies" every round!

DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
quote:
Crew Chief Pro will assume that the 1000’-1320’ increment will be the same as the prior run. I start there but almost always adjust up or down a few thou based on how the incremental times were trending earlier in the run compared to the run before.

You can also establish a “ratio” based on your last wide open run, divide the ET/1000’ time. Then you can multiply your 1000’ time by that number to complete future runs as long as there wasn’t a major change in the wind.

These are 1/4 mile examples but will also work using 660/330 times. It’s easier to be accurate with 1/4 mile completion just due to having more data points to work with.

On the newer versions of Crew Chief Pro we have the ability to do a more refined Run Completion than just off the 1000 foot or off 330 if you are doing 1/8th mile.

The newer formulas are labeled "Off 1000 Foot Momentum" for quarter mile, and "Off 330 Momentum" when using eighth mile.

These formulas are available in the drop down list ON The Run Completion screen.

You can also use off 1/8th mile option if you let off before you get to the 1000 foot.

One last feature for 1/8th mile racers is "Off 594 Foot" which will compare 594 foot times.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm Back

ski, in case you didn't see it Laughing Hard , FYI...the "deadly all weekend" car chosen as Best Engineered at this past weekend's
"Largest Door Car Race in HISTORY" launched with "show wheelies" every round, on slicks much smaller than the gargantuan slicks under your car and simple math was used along with the time slip to determine what we were running.

Just saying Be Right Back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...LI0&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...uVE&feature=youtu.be

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Spot drop 008 behind, one above two is deadly? Confused

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post