DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Run completion formulas...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Run completion formulas...
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
So with the software out there and other methods I am one that always double checks things multiple ways....

I use Ifamily SW, but also do it manually especially because I am usually double entered and have run back to back to compare to..

What are your methods formulas/methods for run completion that people employ?

For me I use the known slip vs unknown as follows:

find the difference in:

TT1                 vs             Elimination run 1 with drop @ finish
 60 ft 1.245 known slip           1.250 unknown slip .005      
330 ft 3.777  known slip          3.775 unknown slip   -.002    Inverval change -.007       
660 ft  5.750  known slip         XXX unknown slip   

XXX = 5.750 + (-.007) + (-.002) = 5.741  

Feel free to post the 1/4 mile completions too....

This should be interesting..

Posts: 1441 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
no formula necessary unless you call simple addition and subtraction a formula. All the info you need is on the time slip.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
no formula necessary unless you call simple addition and subtraction a formula. All the info you need is on the time slip.

That is why I said methods ED also...

Posts: 1441 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
don't over think it, this is easy stuff.

Now about your gargantuan slicks. Falling of chair laughing

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
don't over think it, this is easy stuff.

Ed I don't think I am - been doing this for years and am interested in learning/hearing other people's viewpoints.

If you have a method or technique for doing the above - please share in detail - otherwise STFU Big Grin

I know lots of people just use i dropped 4 MPH and that is .02; perhaps if you hit the brakes in the same exact spot every time and ripped it EXACTLY the same duration and times in the same exact spot. So I see that method as not as accurate.

Hence the reason to hear how others do it. Then I quietly make my own assessments as to which is right. Perhaps with some questions for clarification.

And I have learned to like my big tires; like you have learned to like your small $rick. Hey this is like old times... Big Grin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
again, it's just simple math. I know what I or my son was running before I or he gets out of the car. He checks me using the run completion on iFamily and I ain't ever been wrong yet.

as to you your gargantuan slicks used in an attempt to make up for your small $rick, I asked in my initial reply

quote:
if you're happy with it, why change it?

Me, I don't need big slicks, my $rick is above average and the only way my car spins the tires is when its in the water box.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I use the bogacki program.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I use the time slip. all of coarse is rule of thumb and will get me within a couple of thou. also from past experience.

whatever it moves in 60' double that at the finish line. ie .01 in 60' = .02 at stripe.

whatever the 330 moves I say 1 to 1. ie .01 in 60' = .01 at stripe.

this will usually be close 1/8 mile for me. also I know how much a whoop of the gas is in my stuff like most people I am sure.

question for 1290. when you are throttle stop racing in the 1/4, how will movement multiply down track through the 1/4. what do you see.

ep-I want to learn how others figure stuff out to.

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Crew Chief Pro will assume that the 1000’-1320’ increment will be the same as the prior run. I start there but almost always adjust up or down a few thou based on how the incremental times were trending earlier in the run compared to the run before.

You can also establish a “ratio” based on your last wide open run, divide the ET/1000’ time. Then you can multiply your 1000’ time by that number to complete future runs as long as there wasn’t a major change in the wind.

These are 1/4 mile examples but will also work using 660/330 times. It’s easier to be accurate with 1/4 mile completion just due to having more data points to work with.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
question for 1290. when you are throttle stop racing in the 1/4, how will movement multiply down track through the 1/4. what do you see.

Ed, one thing is for sure, .01 in 60' is not .01 at stripe. Further 99% of TS racers are on the stop a fraction of a second after letting go, cruising past the 60 foot block so if they are moving more than a few thousands from pass to pass, they have some work to do. Beyond that, when and how you shift and when you go WOT determines what an .01 variance from run to run at 330 and/or 660 translates to at the strip. Me I setup for what most successful TS racers are setup and that is to minimize their time on the stop.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Further 99% of TS racers are on the stop a fraction of a second after letting go, cruising past the 60 foot block so if they are moving more than a few thousands from pass to pass, they have some work to do.

I look at an awful lot of run data, and I can’t recall seeing anyone’s car repeat 60’ times on the stop like I’d expect them to wide open.

Swings of .015+ run-to-run are very common, even for the household names.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
mine does most times and many others

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
mine does most times and many others

I picked a random event and chose Virginia LODRS Super Comp. Only time run was 1.650, first round was 1.635.

My 9” tire door car won’t move that much wide open. It will on the stop.

At the same event, your Firebird went:

I didn’t cherry pick this event; it’s the one I happened to choose.

Tony Leonard

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
depending if you drop between the mph cone and stripe you can use the m/s method to estimate how much et you killed.

key word....estimate

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Tony, without showing my hand, look at the later rounds run on the same day at Epping, Maple Grove national event and Virginia last year, the 60 foots vary thousands from pass to pass. My Firebird is still a work in progress on the stop, shifting on RPM and time with the 60 foots ranging from 1.80s to 2 teens

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not sure how something so simple got so complicated. Killing Speed up top does impact ET but at that point it has zero to do with your 60' time or others! As Ed stated it's simple math with some common sense. Look at your interval times on the full run and the same on the run that you killed some ET. You can easily compare the WOT intervals to see how track conditions are impacting the two runs and based off that along with your all out 1000 to 1320 interval time, you can adjust it as needed then add that time to your current run's 1000' time. Same for 1/8 but you have less to work with regarding WOT interval times.

It really doesn't get any easier...

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
TOP38...KNOWS!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Further 99% of TS racers are on the stop a fraction of a second after letting go, cruising past the 60 foot block so if they are moving more than a few thousands from pass to pass, they have some work to do.

I look at an awful lot of run data, and I can’t recall seeing anyone’s car repeat 60’ times on the stop like I’d expect them to wide open.

Swings of .015+ run-to-run are very common, even for the household names.

Assuming the T Stop, carb setup/tune and rpm on the stop are all good, it just comes down to controlling the hit of the tire so it does the same thing over and over. No reason these days you can't get a car to have tight 60's on the stop. A data logger will show you what's going on and what/wher you need to work on!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
EXACTLY, I can setup my cars on the stop to run within thousands from pass to pass to the 60 foot cone whenever I want to. Wink

Again, TOP38...KNOWS!

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
EXACTLY, I can setup my cars on the stop to run within thousands from pass to pass to the 60 foot cone whenever I want to. Wink

Again, TOP38...KNOWS!

Dictate the sixty, control the ET. Besides, who dials for dead .90 these days anyway? Most hold some. A few hold .05 .06 then crash at the top, some are quite successful at it.

I rarely run off the stop anymore, even when bracket racing.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post