DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Street gear set in dragsters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Street gear set in dragsters
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted
My 9” Ford gears are cracked at the base of the pinion gear and at least one is cracked across a tooth. Ring gear looks fine. Gearset has been in the car 10 years! Gears are not Pro gears. Pinion is 28 spline and as far as I know all pro gear sets are 35 spline. My old dragster also had street gears in it and never hurt them. I can upgrade it easily to a pro set with some added parts and cost but since what I had lasted so long I’m wondering why bother spend $ for nothing.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
I used to run street gears, but broke a couple within a few year period and decided to upgrade. If I’m not mistaken we went to a small pinion pro gear. Not sure if thats 28 spline or bot as I’m no rear gear guru.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I put in a set of used street gears in my dragster, and they lasted exactly 30 runs. No more street gears for me.

Posts: 138 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
All Pro 9” gears have 35 spline pinions and 1.500 diameter shafts. Requires a new yoke and carrier just to change to those gears from what I have. If I did not have so many runs on what I just took out I’d just upgrade. Doing brakes as well and the parts bill is adding up on things not expected. That’s racin !

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I might "hack" a small panel out of my 10k onan to save a bunch of hours, just to get the radiator out, but I would NEVER hack and cheap out on a dragsters rear end, especially when it's your own azz in it going down the race track, of which could lock up and send you into a barrel roll.

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas to you too....

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
SC,you can get a 28 spline Pro set,but they're only made in 4.56 and up.The 35 spline is 4.56 and down.

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i am amazed they lasted for you ,two years max for me

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1389 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I’m spending money I didn’t think I would have to either but it’s the right thing to do. Good luck Rich!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I say this with regularity ^^^^^

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dtye:
SC,you can get a 28 spline Pro set,but they're only made in 4.56 and up.The 35 spline is 4.56 and down.

I bought a complete 9" for my Nova and didn't think to verify pinion size. It is small pinion, 28 spline and I bought a 4.30 Pro gear for it. They cost a fortune (around $500) but they do make them.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I bought the car as a roller 10 years ago. Pulled the center section out once and it was fine. Did not realize or know the details about Ford 9” gearsets. Only reason I pulled it out recently was to check axles and maybe replace them. Rear was tight in a couple spots turning it by hand on the bench. A little inspection and pinion gear is cracked. I’ll upgrade it to a pro gear set. I did not find any 4.11 Pro gear sets with 28 spline pinions . The diameter goes up along with the splines on the 4.11 or 4.29 gearsets.

DRR Trophy
Picture of T. Denton
posted Hide Post
Hello Rich
Is that the same gears that were in it when you bought it? If so they have been there since 2004 because I had not changed them since I put the car together when it was new. Hope its still doing ok for you.

Posts: 169 | Location: Bristol, TN | Registered: December 23, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T. Denton:
Hello Rich
Is that the same gears that were in it when you bought it? If so they have been there since 2004 because I had not changed them since I put the car together when it was new. Hope its still doing ok for you.

Hello Trevor....Yes they are the same gears and I got our moneys worth out of them my friend.

I thought you must have changed them because I found a piece of what looked like gear tooth in the housing years ago when I popped the center out....

Its a great car and has won 3 Wallys for me in S/C and won plenty of rounds in Super ET as well. 7.40's-7.50's with a 565 and is like a Cadillac......LOL

Took me a while to get comfortable in it....but once I did I was good.

Had some frame issues but I fixed that too.....

Put an X-link in it a few years ago.

I have struggled with keeping brake rotors in decent shape as you probably did too.

Mark Williams stuff going on now and I am going to put a Pro Gear set in it.....

I just pressed the old pinion carrier apart to confirm what was there....

I have seen you racing some S/C on NHRA ALL Access....Its tough racing as all of it is.....

Good luck in 2019....

Merry Christmas !!!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
UPGRADE! You can ‘get away’ with street gears and they last longer but my experience was when they go, they GO! I broke a R&P on the starting line and it wasn’t pretty- took out the driveshaft, back of the trans, wishbone & a four link bar. It sounds to me like you got lucky and caught yours going bad, but if you hadn’t then all hell may have broken loose halfway through the upcoming season! Pro gears will usually whine and hum and let you know they are on their way out where as street gears often don’t give a warning. IMO, the old theory of “you can get away with street gears in a light Dragster” became invalid once we all started going in the 7’s and dragsters stopped being 1600 lbs.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of T. Denton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello Trevor....Yes they are the same gears and I got our moneys worth out of them my friend.

We for sure got our moneys worth from those. MW stuff is nice.
I have been doing some SC racing lately it is definitely a challenge lol...

Posts: 169 | Location: Bristol, TN | Registered: December 23, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I broke a set of street gears in a low 7 second 1/8th mile car. Transbrake, 1.3xx 60'. After about 20-25 runs gears started howling. Changed the oil and it got worse. Pulled the set out and the ring was cracked and pinion had chipped teeth....I wouldn't even begin to think of putting a set of street gears in a dragster at any speed or et......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not what I would do,but hell its working for you. Since biggest advantage to pro gear is softer and takes hard hits better and if correct you are running throttle stop and probably not killing the 60' clocks,I can see where it would work.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4158 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
UPGRADE! You can ‘get away’ with street gears and they last longer but my experience was when they go, they GO! I broke a R&P on the starting line and it wasn’t pretty- took out the driveshaft, back of the trans, wishbone & a four link bar. It sounds to me like you got lucky and caught yours going bad, but if you hadn’t then all hell may have broken loose halfway through the upcoming season! Pro gears will usually whine and hum and let you know they are on their way out where as street gears often don’t give a warning. IMO, the old theory of “you can get away with street gears in a light Dragster” became invalid once we all started going in the 7’s and dragsters stopped being 1600 lbs.

Right on Billy.....

My old car was 1850lbs and went high 7's or slower all its life...

This car is 1950+ and was 1.07-1.08 with injection WOT...

S/C launches are higher rpm to hit a .370 tree.....

It don't look like squat from the stands but its a hard hit..\

The pinion gear was a very low number of runs from needing A DENTIST and some implants.....LOL

No way its going back together without an upgrade now.....

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
My question. Would you get longer life with pro gear and be better off durability and endurance wise? Hey its only money and you have to hate money to do this anyway.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4158 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post