DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    8.8 Ford rear - Pro drag race gear
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8.8 Ford rear - Pro drag race gear
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I "thought" the 8.8 Ford rear would be a good choice for my Studebaker project but unless I am overlooking the market, I do not see a pro drag race gear available. Those of you running the 8.8 rear, will it give good service life with an OE style gear? My past shows that I will eventually ask the Studebaker to go fast and quick and I do not want to install something that will not hold up.

I need the rear to live when running low 6's 1/8 mile at about 3000 pounds.

Do some of you run the 8.8 rear at that performance level?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I helped my buddy put his 93 Mustang together. It weighs 2800lbs and runs 6.0-6.20s depending on the weather and track. It has an 8.8 with street gears, Moser spool and axles in it, no worries. Its a bracket car, so it get used regularly.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I thought I heard that the 8.8" Ford was almost a direct copy of the Chevy passenger car 12-bolt. Wondering if it will accept a Chevy R&P?

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Larry,Motive makes an 8.8 Pro gear,but it's only available in 3.90 ratio.

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Larry,

My 3000 pound door car has been doing just fine with a run of the mill (read that as "cheap") set of Motive gears. 4.10 gear currently and the car runs 5.9x-6.x in the 1/8th.

Posts: 71 | Location: Oostburg WI | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Using a street gear for drag only you set it up tight on backlash. Real tight if you aren't going to take extended highway cruises.
Track only, .000x" to .002"
Some street use, set at up to .004"

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We have use dthe FRPP gears with as much as 1200HP in a 3300lb car.

------------------------------------------
killer of MT82s
Converter Guy

Posts: 23 | Location: Deland | Registered: December 09, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks to each of you for the feedback. I am moving along with the original plans. [installing an 8.8 rear]

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
it'll be fine. Run a good quality girdle cover and adjust the screws properly. You might look at bracing the housing as that seems to work. I haven't followed your build but are you going to run c-clip axles? If you are planning on it, before you start working the rear end over, you might consider using 9" ends on it instead of using c-clip eliminators.

Posts: 106 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
you might consider using 9" ends on it instead of using c-clip eliminators

10-4, that is the plan.

35 spline axles, spool, and big bearing ends.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M802138:
it'll be fine. Run a good quality girdle cover and adjust the screws properly. You might look at bracing the housing as that seems to work. I haven't followed your build but are you going to run c-clip axles? If you are planning on it, before you start working the rear end over, you might consider using 9" ends on it instead of using c-clip eliminators.

X2 for bracing, especially if its a 2010 and up. At the very least weld the tubes. They are known to spin/move in the housing behind as little as 400whp without bracing/welding.

------------------------------------------
killer of MT82s
Converter Guy

Posts: 23 | Location: Deland | Registered: December 09, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post