Find
Notify
Tools

582 vs 615
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted
Taking the saying there is no substitute for cubic inches and the obvious horsepower advantage off the table, what is the reasoning in all the 615 builds? I sold the 582 and could build whatever and am being directed towards the 615. Not interested in going any faster, interested in longevity and life of the parts. Only 1/8th mile racing and doesnt see over 7200 rpm. Is it better to have the 4.600 x 4.375 combo short deck or the 4.600 x 4.625 tall deck combo? Looking for ideas

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
598 is hard to beat IMO...

Posts: 1257 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
588 short deck in my car

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
Ok but why did u decide on that combo? Rod ratio? Stroke? Just what you had? Tall deck vs short deck

Ryan Fasano

Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
k but why did u decide on that combo? Rod ratio? Stroke? Just what you had? Tall deck vs

making a comeback??

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
I had a 540 and when I blew it up, I got a new 4.6 block and got it punched out to 4.625. Got a new 4.375 stroke crank to make a 588 in a short deck. Rods are 6.385". JE makes a perfect piston for this combination and the larger piston is lighter than what I had in my 540 so the bob weight in the 588 is less than what was in the 540.

A tall deck 572, 615, 632 etc, etc would be nice but stuffing one in a production door car isn't as easy as dropping in a short deck block. If space isn't an issue such as in a dragster or altered, then I would have gone with a tall deck block. Easiest way to make HP is with displacement.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:

Have 3 of them from SPANKY...good stuff!

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
Why did u choose that combo? Any specific reasons or did Spanky steer you towards that combo? I know your stuff runs great, appreciate your opinions

Ryan Fasano

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
We run 615s - shelf parts, plenty of clearance and power. Considered 598's but was suggested 615s.

We've had great luck with that combo, that's all I know.

Posts: 2105 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rymo:
Why did u choose that combo? Any specific reasons or did Spanky steer you towards that combo? I know your stuff runs great, appreciate your opinions

Spankys hands us the anvil...we da hammer.

I believe either build will provide good power with longevity...the parts at the time were more readily available for the 598 for what ever reason...was going 582 inches initially if I remember right. The short deck all aluminum ends up purdy light IMO.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would do the 598 short deck. What you gain in power with 615 you lose in weight. Unless its a alum block. But you need to use a decent head with the short deck motor. Alot of piston speed needs a good head

Posts: 114 | Location: pa | Registered: September 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Chris do you use a 9.800 deck block or a 9.850 deck or something else for those 598's...

Juggling rod lengths and Compression heights on those big inch short deck engines would be a concern....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rymo:
Taking the saying there is no substitute for cubic inches and the obvious horsepower advantage off the table, what is the reasoning in all the 615 builds? I sold the 582 and could build whatever and am being directed towards the 615. Not interested in going any faster, interested in longevity and life of the parts. Only 1/8th mile racing and doesnt see over 7200 rpm. Is it better to have the 4.600 x 4.375 combo short deck or the 4.600 x 4.625 tall deck combo? Looking for ideas

Ryan

Not sure what your trying to do, you don't list any goals power wise, just longevity! Based on that then the slower piston speed motor would have that. However for those two size motors your splitting hairs! Longevity is also a product of getting the right parts for your application and doing the maintenance required!

If you can't build a 582 to 632 with great longevity these days your doing something wrong. Especially at only 7200.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
Why use the short deck? Just weight and does it change the rod angle, is the tall deck used in case you want to go bigger later? Idk what the max combo is of a short deck as far as stroke. Thanks for the ideas always learning. And i agree i should have no issues with longevity and i dont but just like to hear why people build what they build philosophy wise

Ryan Fasano

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
As far as deck height. I use 9.800. Ihave built a few 622" short deck combos. Very fast and are still running today.

Posts: 114 | Location: pa | Registered: September 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spanky@Wilson Race Engines:
As far as deck height. I use 9.800. Ihave built a few 622" short deck combos. Very fast and are still running today.

Good to know didnt think that was possible

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I am assuming a short deck 622 would be something out of the ordinary and not built with run of the mill shelf parts.....

Bore, stroke, rod length and piston CH....

Interesting !

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
598 short deck or 632 tall deck.. Proven combos with great longevity in mind, and no replacement for displacement IMO Also, easier to slow down a fast motor a touch than make a slow motor faster

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spanky@Wilson Race Engines:

Spanky Do You use the 9.80 or 9.85 deck block for short deck 615s? What length rod do you use with that also? If you don’t mind sharing. Thanks

Posts: 102 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:

Have 3 of them from SPANKY...good stuff!

I keep hearing 598 from people who seem to know but never heard why? I am a Small Block Guy so do not know much about it and would like to hear the reasoning.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3999 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post