DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    hoosier 29 x 10 p/no.18170 tyre pressure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hoosier 29 x 10 p/no.18170 tyre pressure
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Paul Dilley
posted
G,day,
I run hoosier 29 x 10 bias slicks p/no, 18170.
3160 lb, transbraked, c4, 4,56 gears.
Goes 1.342 , 9.74@ 137 +
Car is super consistent in the 60ft using 15 psi.
I don't run tubes.
Used to run less, seems to be better now.
When I look at photo's still shows the tyres wrinkling pretty hard up above the wheel centreline at the front of the tyre.
Anyone of you guys running the same tyre and similar weight car be interested in your opinions on tyre pressure.
Thanks very much!
Cheers
Paul

Posts: 40 | Location: gracemere, qld, Australia | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
I have used the same exact tire in the past. 3300lbs ladder bar setup, use the TB and Foot Brake, depends on the class. I had them on a 15x10 wheel, no screws, no tubes, been as quick as 1.24 in the 60ft.

Car typically gets slowed down for 10.00 racing, but used to also do an 8.90 Index Class with those tires.

Never ran them below 18psi, when 10.00 racing was running them at 19psi, sometimes 20psi when I was too lazy to check them after a few passes in the summer........

I now run their 29.5, needed larger diameter to lower trap rpm when not using the restrictor plate. Same pressure.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Paul Dilley
posted Hide Post
Gday Mike,
Thanks for that!
I use a 8.5" rim, set the pressure at the start of the day and don't touch them from that.
Not sure about that, seems to work ok☺
Might try sneaking up and see how it goes
Cheers

Posts: 40 | Location: gracemere, qld, Australia | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
I think you should get a wider rim.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
I think you should get a wider rim.

Ditto. That tire may be 'crowning' the tread some, with that narrower rim pulling the sidewalls in a bit.

It's great that your 60' times are so consistent, but your sidewalls may wear out long before the tread if you're 'crushing' the tires.

Here's a pretty neat video that shows how one racer progressively tunes his suspension and adds air to his tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjZDXBXRC9Q

Cheers,
Troy

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Paul Dilley
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much good input!
Cheers

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Dilley:
Thanks very much good input!
Cheers

You're quite welcome, mate!

For what it's worth, too; I would suspect that the more 'pitch rotation' that you have (to the point of pulling wheelies)the more pressure you would need (as more weight is piled up on the back wheels). Anyone disagree?

If you would, please; report back to us what your results are.

Troy

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post