DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Converter Slipping 25%
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converter Slipping 25%
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
The combo seems to luv it, I have another 8" converter slips 3-4% more than the current converter in play. That converter runs a tad hotter than the current. I may go to it though, it's 3 - 4 hundredths slower but went 114.50 mph with it WFO, same engine combo.

Anyone else slipping that much? I think it's good for going slow but still better than average mph.

Seems to luv it.

Discuss, any downside? Confused .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Mike run the converter that wins the most rounds Big Grin You know this Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
PS. I hope that your getting back into bracket racing. I need some encouragement. I am working on getting my health better. I want to race soo bad. My heel and toes are getting better. I am TOUGH. I would love to have to race you in the final round somewhere it would be my honor. Have fun and stay healthy Mike. Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You only show engine RPM on the graph. How do you know DS RPM?

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
gotta be the 20 year old bearings in the converter causing wheel chair slippage?

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Kelley:

To come up with the DS rpm, it's 3.89 gear x 108.85 mph x 336 / 28.5 tire diameter at the stripe

4,999 DS RPM

6,675 eng rpm = 25%

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
PS. I hope that your getting back into bracket racing. I need some encouragement. I am working on getting my health better. I want to race soo bad. My heel and toes are getting better. I am TOUGH. I would love to have to race you in the final round somewhere it would be my honor. Have fun and stay healthy Mike. Smile

It would be fun, hope you get feeling better Sir. I am getting back into bracket racing, I raced Orlando Saturday night, it was a blast.

Very good racers,track surface and well organized, most rounds 015 or better total up until the semi, where my plans were foiled.

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Besides the heat issue, high slip also results in significantly higher rpms in the traps. Prob not an issue when racing half track, but with 1320’, buzzing the engine takes away eng life.
That said, bracket racing is won with a constant race car. If this is more consistent with a combination it’s a good thing.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
Besides the heat issue, high slip also results in significantly higher rpms in the traps. Prob not an issue when racing half track, but with 1320’, buzzing the engine takes away eng life.
That said, bracket racing is won with a constant race car. If this is more consistent with a combination it’s a good thing.

We were in hot lap mode after a couple hour rain delay to get the race in, I was shocked they got the race done, officials did a great job, just kept working to make it happen.

Anyway we were in hot lap mode once we got to 8 pairs or so. Transmission never got over 175 degrees. My other converter which slips 3-4% more, would typically be a tad over 180 degrees in a hot lap situation.

It was 95 plus degrees during the day, like being in an oven, the rain was kinda welcomed I think, especially since officials had no problem with doing the work, to make the race complete, afterward.

This same converter slips 5% crossing 7400 rpm's 5.90's with a 5.00 gear at 3200 lbs.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

To come up with the DS rpm, it's 3.89 gear x 108.85 mph x 336 / 28.5 tire diameter at the stripe

4,999 DS RPM

6,675 eng rpm = 25%

Tire growth @ the stripe???

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
quote:
quote:

4,999 DS RPM

6,675 eng rpm = 25%

Tire growth @ the stripe???

.5 x 3.14 = 1.57"... I'm guessing

10 x 28 bias M/T tire/slick

It went 4.164 330ft a few times, I'll put the other converter if need be. I'm gonna give this converter one more race, I made a small move with the fuel (timing).

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think if I can adjust the converter to slip around 30%, the car will run 6.40 year round at around 110 mph.

6.39 and slower there's no regulations - License, heavy jacket, pants, neck collar etc etc

Target 30% converter slippage

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think if I can adjust the converter to slip around 30%, the car will run 6.40 year round at around 110 mph.

6.39 and slower there's no regulations - License, heavy jacket, pants, neck collar etc etc

Consider slowing the car slightly after launch for the first 3 seconds with Grid and then leave it run MPH in high gear. The more you reduce the front half the faster you can run the back half and still be over 6.39 et.

I can easily keystroke (Grid) my car 20 numbers to the desired ET area.

It took the trans builder 3 tries (1.5 yrs) to get my new convertor flash where I wanted it. Mines now at 19% slip in the eighth with a 5.14. Was 23.5% slip with a 4.40 prior to rear gear change.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

Consider slowing the car slightly after launch for the first 3 seconds with Grid and then leave it run MPH in high gear. The more you reduce the front half the faster you can run the back half and still be over 6.39 et.

It took the trans builder 3 tries (1.5 yrs) to get my new convertor flash where I wanted it. Mines now at 19% slip in the eighth with a 5.14. Was 23.5% slip with a 4.40 prior to rear gear change.

That's exactly the concept. I'm using the torque converter to do it, rather than timing (fuel) as you're suggesting.

I'm gonna use the grid to tailor the fuel, but not to manage et - regulations.

The tune (fuel) is the highest value. I can add ballast or loosen converter to manage regulations.

So far I haven't broken any rules or regulations.

I'm just getting out in front of it in approach, for when it gets fast in November.

ottm

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Mike run the converter that wins the most rounds Big Grin You know this Smile

They're both killer converters, the other is a hair slower by 3-4 hundredths, which is a good thing. I almost threw it up in there when I had the transmission apart to fix the flare at the shift.

The flare really didn't give the converter in the car first time out, a fair shake. Shift RPM moved by 300 rpm at 4 cars.

Nobody's fault but mine.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Legally, 6.39 is as fast as I can dial. I should be able to effect either of the two torque converters efficiency, I have to choose from, with a restrictor here. Restricting converter pressure.

I'd prefer not just pile a bunch of ballast in the trunk to slow it down, thus killing the mph. I can also go down on leave rpm as well.

So I have a few tricks left in the bag.

6.40 110 mph year round, be a pretty decent hot rod on a 10 x 28 tire, I think.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Smart

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6379 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
... I had the transmission apart to fix the flare at the shift.

The flare really didn't give the converter in the car first time out, a fair shake. Shift RPM moved by 300 rpm at 4 cars.

Nobody's fault but mine.

How did you fix the flare up? My buddies PG was doing the same thing and not shifting consistently. His trans builder said it was leaking past the servo rings.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
quote:

Smart

The problem for consistency with pulling timing on methanol to kill et,is when the sun goes down and the humidity rises, the additional water in the fuel droplets leans out what was a rich fuel phenomenon due to removing the timing, during the day before the humidity rolled in when the sun went down.

Water injection - higher charge densities.

I have some hands on experience, why I'm not taking this approach Super Pro bracket racing.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
quote:
... I had the transmission apart to fix the flare at the shift.

Nobody's fault but mine.

How did you fix the flare up? My buddies PG was doing the same thing and not shifting consistently. His trans builder said it was leaking past the servo rings.

My flare at the shift was the vent hose kinked, closing off the vent probably 70, 80, 90%. The sump has see atmosphere, mine was blowing the dipstick out of the tube an inch or so, as the shift occurred.