DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster lift winch
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster lift winch
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Ive got a new 34 fT vintage that was braced and wired for a dragster lift.I figured i midas well use it since its 75 percent there. Can anyone reccommend a good winch to use? I dont want to use pulleys,it has a plate welded dead center over the top of the dragster nose so i would like to mount it there.I called superwinch and they said they dont reccommend any of their winches for this purpose.

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We use a HF 1500lb atv winch with a nylon cable. I'd imagine anything in that 1500lb class would be relatively the same size.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 463 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
The way your luck has been going this year, I dont know if you want the dragster hanging over the top of the Vette Eek

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I used a chain hoist hand pully on mine. Super easy.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I bought an ATV winch and when i lifted it the brake in the winch wouldn't hold and it would just lower back down. I would suggest a super winch.

Posts: 100 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I use an ATV winch as well. Has worked fine for years

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1988 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
For safety reasons, there's a difference between a hoist and a winch. Do your research.

SL...

Posts: 2099 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
Ive got a new 34 fT vintage that was braced and wired for a dragster lift.I figured i midas well use it since its 75 percent there. Can anyone reccommend a good winch to use? I dont want to use pulleys,it has a plate welded dead center over the top of the dragster nose so i would like to mount it there.I called superwinch and they said they dont reccommend any of their winches for this purpose.

For liability's sake I don't think any winch manufacturer will "recommend". I have used several different ones. Warn from Northern Tool, Champion from Tractor Supply, Superwinch, Etc. All worked fine but I never went less that 2500lb capacity. Many times I looked for 3500lb. This is an area where I don't think skimping to save a buck is a good idea. Almost all of the winches I mentioned are under or around $200. Are you making a stand for your air bladder??

Posts: 1183 | Location: Lake Worth, Fla. U.S. | Registered: August 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
For safety reasons, there's a difference between a hoist and a winch. Do your research.

SL...

I don't see any 12v hoists as I am searching.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:

SL...

I agree with Scott on this one. We used a 2500 lb winch for over 10 years and had no issues, but I would never recommend using the winch to hold the weight.

As soon as the car was high enough, the stand went under the driver seat and the bar went under the front end and held the tires in place.

I saw people use the dragster lift to try and work under the car with some scary results

Posts: 106 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I would never use just the winch for support lol..she would go up on the with then s beam under it with saddles for the front tires and weight goes on that.kenny how should the middle of the car be supported if you have pictures?

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would never use just the winch for support lol..she would go up on the winch then a beam put under it with saddles for the front tires and weight goes on that.kenny how should the middle of the car be supported if you have pictures?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Michael, I been using Superwinch’s LT3000ATV since 2018 without issue.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would never use just the winch for support lol..she would go up on the with then s beam under it with saddles for the front tires and weight goes on that.kenny how should the middle of the car be supported if you have pictures?

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:

Does that really stay put? I would have guessed that to walk out from under the car.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No support under my car as well as several friends and competitors that have gone down the road 10s of thousands of miles for over a decade.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Sure sounds funny to me that some say YOU MUST USE A CHASSIS BLADDER UNDER A DRAGSTER because of chassis flex and bounce. That more damage is done to chassis while towing with out one than racing. One trip could break your chassis and destroy your car. Blah, Blah, Blah. Fair enough and but I find it ridiculous that it is not needed if you jack up front.

You need it or you do not, can not have it both ways. I do feel the dragsters should be supported in the middle especially front engine dragsters since they flex so much. 4 link cars are a little stiffer chassis. I do not think they are really needed on short stiff chassis like Altered or door cars but certainly would not hurt anything.

Still someone explain to me how it will destroy your dragster if you do not use one (Unless you jack up the front). If 235 inch car flexes and bounces then it does it front up or not. Maybe 1 or 2% percent less because of minor center of gravity change but nothing major.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3982 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:

Does that really stay put? I would have guessed that to walk out from under the car.

I tow a pretty good number of miles, and the only time it’s ever come out was the trip home from Denver last year. Anything you set with air pressure in Denver will deflate greatly when you return to a more normal altitude/atmospheric pressure. Lesson learned.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Right side...

Left side

After

Most critical areas are from in front of the seat to the frontal area of the engine. Go for a ride in a trailer down the road. Trailers are ground pounders. Don't kid yourself.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Any winch that has an internal brake will work, but I'd secure it with a safety strap just in case....pretty much all winches that have the brake are rated to hold the max pull power of the winch....so hanging weight off if it shouldn't be an issue, but there can always be "that one time".......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post