DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    equalizing rollout
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

equalizing rollout
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Glad I stand at the starting line and not downgrade lolol

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad News:
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I say do not worry about it. Take it out to the track and run it, then if it is pulling to one side swap them side to side or try to change them.

Why would you not measure them to begin with?
Swapping side to side just moves the problem.
How much time and money gets wasted going to the track to sort out a thought to be suspension issue, and it dissapears after a tire change. And it gets blamed on the tire manufacturer.
I would say something stupid like do you just take pistons or bearings out of the box and use them, but I see that happens a lot.......

He bought them about a year ago and still have not been ran. He measured them then and now he said they have changed "Almost" an inch. So what do you think he should do? Return them? Nope. Not after a year or so.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4011 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
correct They here measured about 5 minutes after first mounting them. Both where less than 1/4". I figure change came from one being pumped up at some time too much. All me nothing to do with manufacture. Plus bought from dealer at drag expo and couldn't tell you who he was if had to at gun point,I would make up someone.

Avoiding wasted money and blaming something else was why I wanted to correct issue or make attempts now. If couldn't correct I would have chance to try multiple approach's,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
let the air out of both and start this process over when they go on car,leave valve core out

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Everytime I buy a new set of tires I get concerned if they are not close on rollout.

Last set I bought 2 tires were way different on rollout and I sent one back. I spoke to a very helpful young lady and told her what I had and what the date was on both tires. Opted to keep the older of the 2 and with the same rollout these tires usually have.

Got new tire, mounted it up and measured both.

Diddled around with pressures and they change drastically as one would expect with air pressure and temp.

Off some but no real big deal....

Put em on car and I forgot about it all.

Car goes straight as an arrow and rpm is same as old tires.....

M/T 3183's....

No real difference from old ones to new...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Thinking about this cpl days ago. So you can't change rollout once tires have had heat cycle or two? So how would correcting the problem now even if car will not be on track till March,so it seems anyway.

Before asked why bought year ago.All plans where for testing to last spring,but hell plan was to be running few years ago until shyt happens happened.

As for everyone wanting me to put on track.Add all of you together multiply by ten and you would be half way where I am,but at same time I have never run halfa$$ prepared car and not starting now.Just working with 1/4a$$ budget compared to my old deal. Lot more fun when dad ordered parts I said needed to win,I never seen bills(still 1/2 my money) and never worried about what needed to be taken care of other than THE CAR.Did suck In January when he added up years racing expenses for taxes,bad cpl weeks around shop.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
I bought a new pair of Hoosier 29x9 slicks from Jeg's. I think they were down to maybe two pairs of that size in inventory when I ordered them.

It wasn't until after I had the new tires mounted and balanced on the wheels that I noticed that the chalk-marked rollout was 90 1/2" and 93" on the tires. Yikes!

Well, I followed the procedure described on Jegs' website and pumped up the tires to 20 PSI, then bled the pressure back to 15 PSI (What I plan to run at) and measured the circumferences with a 1/4" tape.

The tires measured only 1/4" difference. Phew.

I'd never actually measured rollout before and I never heard veteran racers discuss it.
Before I'd only looked at the chalk marks on the tires and noted that they didn't vary more than 1/2", and I was never worried.

I've read on here now about guys putting an oversized tire in the sun to shrink it.
Lol, now I see another reason why some racers put covers over their tires in the sun.

Stay well,
T.

Posts: 338 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post