DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    equalizing rollout
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

equalizing rollout
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Checking slicks on FED for rollout. Use to be same,another side effect of too long getting to track, Now almost 1" difference at 7 psi.

Best way to equalize. Have in past pumped to 50 psi and layd in sun,mostly more rollout but also equize at times. 35* and rain out today and while before above 55*. So what have you done and results?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No need to equalize rollout.

Posts: 522 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
excuse me? Maybe not with what you are running but with a solid mount FED it needs to be almost perfect. Or so the guys who have been running them for decades tell me,hell what do they know.

Please explain reasoning on not equalizing.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
been told shrinking bigger tire best route.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You don't race.

Posts: 522 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
So applying for Ed's position?

If concerned about how long taking to get operation rolling contributions are welcomed.

Phil you racing today? Guessing since on here,answer is no. Are rods in your car torqued?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
For those with real input or suggestion. I did find that shrinking bigger tire works great or shows promise back to .25" difference. Will keep check and see if measurement remains.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
I did find that shrinking bigger tire works great or shows promise back to .25" difference.

What did you use to heat the tire up?

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
not the sun today. PM sent to avoid bs.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Rain today, raced yesterday.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

That PM somehow got in my inbox. What the hell are you doing using a hair dryer???

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I don’t know how you shrink a tire but my thinking says it will grow right back when it gets hot. I never measure my tires just mount and go and never had an issue in 24 years of racing except for the only set of Goodyear’s I ever ran and they would run straight mount on one side but flip them and car would goo right. I left them on mount so car went straight until they wore out then back to Hoosiers.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:

That PM somehow got in my inbox. What the hell are you doing using a hair dryer???
must have been in system. Heck you where not even on page no way I clicked wrong person. Oh well message got where needed to be all is good.

BIG hair dryer.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
let air out of tire. heat tire in sun or other means as I had to. Let cool and pump up to operating pressure and remasure. My change but its still holding exact same measurement.

As for change later I had old fella who has been racing for decades and selling racing tires longer tell me it was best approach. One reason I love chatting with old timers,they got some tricks.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
HERE'S the thread that explains why Chris used heat to shrink his tires. His method of how he did it was also clever.

I’m definitely going to try shrinking the larger of the 2 tires the next time I have this happen. I’m considering building a cardboard box large enough to hold the tire, piping the exhaust from my truck into the top of the box and have smaller exit holes around the lower outer sides to let the exhaust out to heat the tire up in the absence of sun and heat which is common where I live.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I say do not worry about it. Take it out to the track and run it, then if it is pulling to one side swap them side to side or try to change them.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
not worried as said above already corrected it. Why gp to track with something that you know is going to be problem.Wasted trip,money and wear and tear to learn what you pretty much knew leaving house. Plus if suspect it and car does go left or right and you figure thats issue,correct it and still does it because something you overlooked was real problem.Now you have 2 wasted trips.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I say do not worry about it. Take it out to the track and run it, then if it is pulling to one side swap them side to side or try to change them.

Why would you not measure them to begin with?
Swapping side to side just moves the problem.
How much time and money gets wasted going to the track to sort out a thought to be suspension issue, and it dissapears after a tire change. And it gets blamed on the tire manufacturer.
I would say something stupid like do you just take pistons or bearings out of the box and use them, but I see that happens a lot.......

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Used or new tires ? If they have been heat cycled and ran I don't know that you will change them appreciably .

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^You can’t. Once run you’re done. Make them right like Chris did before first run and you’ll be good to go.