DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Manual steering conversion Q:
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manual steering conversion Q:
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
I commonly see race cars with a manual steering conversion of sorts, where the hoses from the power steering box are removed and a short loop of hose is installed as a by-pass.

Are there any caveats with doing it that way? Would it be okay to simply plug the ports on the power steering box?

Thanks!

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It is harder to steer that way..put a manual box on it

Posts: 910 | Location: The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard... | Registered: April 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
You have to loop it or it’s VERY hard to turn. I made the change from looped power to standard non power gear box and honestly it was not worth it. Yes it was a easier to steer at slow speeds but it took many more steering wheel revolutions to make a u-turn vs the power steering box with a loop. Both ends of our local track were 180’s. If I could do it again, I’d put a rack & pinion in it.

This was a 70 GM A body if it matters.

Posts: 394 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Why do you want to do it. My vette still have power steering and so did the chevelle.

I see this as very much along the lines of running with and without an alternator.

The power that they take away is negligible and downsides (cons) I see as far greater and cost prohibitive.

If everything is working why mess with it? Add up the money and time and there is no upside.

We bracket race - so the .00X you gain from weight loss is not worth it.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1433 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great input, guys.
I don't mind having the power assist. I considered changing over to manual steering partly to de-clutter the engine compartment and to speed up a swap to a spare engine, if need be.

I have converted to manual brakes and am pretty happy with that result.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post