DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Large solenoid in dragster wiring - identify?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large solenoid in dragster wiring - identify?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I saw this pic of the what appears to be a large solenoid in this dragster wiring. What is it for? I guess a starter solenoid does not need be near the starter, or is it a shutoff? Thanks ahead for educating me on my stupid question. Also can anyone identify what kind of solenoid this is? I'm doing a total rewire on my can and may just incorporate that in if your answers indicate I should.. Big Grin

Posts: 86 | Location: Santa Clause Indiana | Registered: June 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Looking at the way it's wired, I'm gonna guess it's a shutoff.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
It is a starter solenoid. I use one in my car because the battery cable runs thru the frame and I don't want it hot all the time. Just when the starter is spinning. You have to jump the wires at the starter.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
12V solenoids

here are some examples.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Well... it could be either but from the looks of the solenoid I'd say it's a continuous duty solenoid controlling the power to that relay panel.
Look up Cole-Hersee continuous duty solenoid. You can wire the cutoff switch to control the solenoid.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
thank you, everyone.

Posts: 86 | Location: Santa Clause Indiana | Registered: June 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post