DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Autometer vs racepak
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autometer vs racepak
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
I do know no matter which you buy the sensors are way overpriced.

I bought all my own from another source and repined them to work with their cables.

These guys sell the senors, temp, travel, pressure etc etc for what they honestly should sell for

https://lowdoller-motorsports.com/

My opinion on Low Dollar Motorsports sensors…. Unknown Cheap Chinese quality.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

quote:
I do know no matter which you buy the sensors are way overpriced.

I bought all my own from another source and repined them to work with their cables.

These guys sell the senors, temp, travel, pressure etc etc for what they honestly should sell for

https://lowdoller-motorsports.com/

My opinion on Low Dollar Motorsports sensors…. Unknown Cheap Chinese quality.

Only thing I appreciate is he doesn't hide it. I'm not sure how you can buy a USA Autometer gauge for $279 and comes with a Autometer sensor that others have at $249. Smile

Posts: 1404 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Anybody have any experience with Fast XFI system buddy just gave me complete system with dash and data recorder

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpeierRacingHeads:
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:My opinion on Low Dollar Motorsports sensors…. Unknown Cheap Chinese quality.

Only thing I appreciate is he doesn't hide it.

Exactly…comes with a lifetime warranty. Fails, just send it back.. free replacement….lmao

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have the newer lcd screen automer dash going together right now in my wife's new dragster. I've had the iq3 racepak before and while it's light years better then the UDX racepak dash, the iq3 is also stuck in the early 2000's imo.

I'm doing the autometer with a custom harness and programing to read Racepak vnet and racepak logger on the can bus input to the dash. Mainly this was so I could continue to use the most common sensors/modules/software from the racepak, but with the far superior dash/screen of the autometer.

In time I plan to look at the software of the autometer dash and see if I like the system enough to eventually dump the racoak part and use autometer sensors directly since the autometer dash/logger is a far far superior logger, sample rates vastly superior and amount of available inputs that is like 10 times that of the sportsman logger and it can take inputs from multiple sources and combine into one display.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
https://www.fueltech.net/products/ft600-efi-system

don't have any 1st hand experience with it but it's the best looking dash IMO and it's starting to show up in high end dragsters.

That’s what i have and I like it but wish it was a little bigger in size…

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
quote:

don't have any 1st hand experience with it but it's the best looking dash IMO and it's starting to show up in high end dragsters.

Agreed, one reason why I went Holley 6.86 Pro Dash with ECU choices to accomplish my desired goals.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you go with RACEPAK get ready to send it to DATA SYSTEMS for some kind of repair…LOL

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
quote:

Agreed, one reason why I went Holley 6.86 Pro Dash with ECU choices to accomplish my desired goals.

Any idea where the Holley senders are made?

Posts: 1404 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
Does anyone have experience with the autometer lcd competition dash who has also used racepak? What are your thoughts on the display, dependability, and data collection of both? Thank you

For Data logger I do not think you will find any better than RPM. On my Front engine dragster I had the digital dash and it is nice, you can scroll through the screens and see what ever information you want.

The thing I did not like about the digital screen is to me it is really hard to see the tach or information on the track. (Same with all other brands there)

So on my new Altered I decided I wanted analog gauges for tach, oil and water. But I was able to get 8-O2's, oil, transmission and water temp, fuel and oil pressure, boost pressure, Brake pressure, accelrometer, Shock travel sensor, plus all the basic stuff RPM, driveshaft etc. for way less money than any of the others. I did get the shock travel sensor from Low Dollar Motorsports and it seems nice.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3970 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any idea where the Holley senders are made?

I do Not know where Holley sources their sensors from but would expect quality made for their control systems. I agree, they are expensive.

I also used Autometer sensors (USA) reporting to the Holley dash for several items.

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
racepak and shawn morrow. i sent you a message

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

Here’s an early custom configuration of my Holley 6.86 Pro Dash that is still being developed. The two most important gauges for me are located in the center of the display. I have created a large Red “Low Oil Pressure” banner that flashes when less than 40 psi. I also created a large Yellow “High Water Temp” banner the same size as the red oil pressure warning that flashes in the bottom half of screen when the water temp exceeds 185*. There’s no missing these warning alarms while driving off or on the track.

Although this dash can display and data record in a Stand-Alone configuration, some features of what the dash can do are expanded with the addition of an ECU. The creation of Virtual Switches allowed ECU programming to take control of automatic operation of the water pump and water / transmission fans by turning the ignition On and starting the engine. Fully automatic like a normal car, not needing to manually turn on.

This Holley automatic operation is integrated with a Digital Delay Mega Dial Panel Elite relay board in my car. The lights on the toggle switch panel turn ON/ OFF indicating automatic operation of the devices by the ECU while the panel switches remain in the center OFF position.

The Virtual Switches on the Pro Dash always default to the OFF position when the panel is initially energized. Because of this, I used inverse logic to program the automatic operation of the devices the Virtual Switch is assigned to in the ECU. As long as the Virtual Switch is in the OFF (default) position, the device is in ECU automatic control when the ignition is ON. If I want manual control of the device/s while the engine is running, I simply turn the Virtual Switch to the ON position (touch) and now the device it controlled can only be turned on manually with the toggle switch panel. With the ignition in the OFF position, the toggle switch panel will always manually activate.

I have a small tachometer programmed in the upper right that displays in analog with digital center read out, but this display also has 14 small LED lights on the top, 10 of which can be programmed for multiple rpms along with color and grouping. I use these 10 LED’s for my burnout and are easily seen in ones lower peripheral without looking directly at the Dash. When going down the track I know when the shift to Hi gear will take place as it’s in another rpm color group on the LED display.

Programmable dashes, and especially those with ECU’s, can offer the racer that wants more control the ability to do so, all in one integrated package.

The Holley ECU I’m using is now controlling the fuel systems and I’m continuing making changes while learning.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here’s an early custom configuration of my Holley 6.86 Pro Dash that is still being developed. The two most important gauges for me are located in the center of the display. I have created a large Red “Low Oil Pressure” banner that flashes when less than 40 psi. I also created a large Yellow “High Water Temp” banner the same size as the red oil pressure warning that flashes in the bottom half of screen when the water temp exceeds 185*. There’s no missing these warning alarms while driving off or on the track.

Although this dash can display and data record in a Stand-Alone configuration, some features of what the dash can do are expanded with the addition of an ECU. The creation of Virtual Switches allowed ECU programming to take control of automatic operation of the water pump and water / transmission fans by turning the ignition On and starting the engine. Fully automatic like a normal car, not needing to manually turn on.

This Holley automatic operation is integrated with a Digital Delay Mega Dial Panel Elite relay board in my car. The lights on the toggle switch panel turn ON/ OFF indicating automatic operation of the devices by the ECU while the panel switches remain in the center OFF position.

The Virtual Switches on the Pro Dash always default to the OFF position when the panel is initially energized. Because of this, I used inverse logic to program the automatic operation of the devices the Virtual Switch is assigned to in the ECU. As long as the Virtual Switch is in the OFF (default) position, the device is in ECU automatic control when the ignition is ON. If I want manual control of the device/s while the engine is running, I simply turn the Virtual Switch to the ON position (touch) and now the device it controlled can only be turned on manually with the toggle switch panel. With the ignition in the OFF position, the toggle switch panel will always manually activate.

I have a small tachometer programmed in the upper right that displays in analog with digital center read out, but this display also has 14 small LED lights on the top, 10 of which can be programmed for multiple rpms along with color and grouping. I use these 10 LED’s for my burnout and are easily seen in ones lower peripheral without looking directly at the Dash. When going down the track I know when the shift to Hi gear will take place as it’s in another rpm color group on the LED display.

Programmable dashes, and especially those with ECU’s, can offer the racer that wants more control the ability to do so, all in one integrated package.

The Holley ECU I’m using is now controlling the fuel systems and I’m continuing making changes while learning.

How are things on the data collection side? Drive shaft rpm, graphs after the run, etc?

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
All of the systems you are looking at will probably record everything you attach to them in resolution rates that will show you what you need to know. Same with Holley. Their Data Acquisition is programmable in FPS rate of up to 300 (this DA pic is at 70 FPS that I use of some of what is being recorded). Plug your laptop into Holley after the run and download. There are also wireless download modules for Holley and others as well. WiFi

No matter what you decide to purchase, I suggest to First load the software on your laptop or home computer and test drive it. You can get racers to share their DA of different systems so you have something else to work with as some software does come with sample DA files.

For Holley I would definitely look at some of the “how to” tutorials from Holley online (youtube) to shorten the learning process to include loading the software. Like everything, the more you use and practice increases your competency level and understanding of the product software features. Holley also offers some excellent online forums that can help you through problems and learning.

If the device has an ECU, you need to learn and understand that portion of the software as well.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have a racepak on one car, and it has been great with the exception of a couple backlight repairs.

But I will say that if you anticipate EVER going EFI or even just want spark control incorporated, look at the efi options. The ecu's often are not more expensive than most of the data loggers, and they are great data loggers all by themselves. You can use as much or as little of the capabilities as you like. It leaves you a lot of options.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6361 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yea, now I’m
Looking at Holley, auto meter and AIM. I like the fuel tech, but don’t like that it’s only a 4” screen where others are 7”

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This might be dumb, Ed I'm just thinking out loud! Smile.. Why hasn't anyone used a data logger and monitored weather right from the car? I mean new cars have some sort of temp gauge. It would be printed right on the data for records.

Maybe a dumb thought.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
Yea, now I’m
Looking at Holley

If you go HERE select the Video to see informative features of Holley ProDash

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
So for those who may not know. The fuel tech system now has an integrated delay box, throttle stop and starting line enchanter. Bump up and down features as well as throttle stop over ride