Notify
Tools

Tubes?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quick Dawg:
Thinking about putting tubes in my MT's so I can store the trailer & car without having the tires go down.

What is that going to do to how the car reacts and what changes will I have to make with air pressure?

Why not put a 4x4 (or two) under the lowest spot (frame, ladder bars, shock mounts, rearend, whatever) and let the car sit on that for the off season and when ready pump up the tires and go racing. Just buy a couple pieces of lumber and don't change your set up....simple?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Doesn't everyone use a pillow under their dragster when transporting?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
I am no expert... ok got that out of the way
I only run Hoosiers but I have had them leak when not soaped but never had one leak after being soaped. I learned long time ago to always soap my tires the first time. Cheap insurance.
I have run plugs many times in tires and never had an issue, been 168 mph with plug in tire.
I have plugged trailer tires, car tires and even Atv tires and run them till worn out, never replaced just because of a plug. Atv tire had 14 plugs in it and still held air. Big Grin
If you put tubes in tires without headlocks or rim screws and the tire moves on the wheel there’s a good chance of ripping the stem out of the tube.
Just my nonexpert opinion.

You're a Non-tube plug expert, you're not fooling anyone NOW, especially me!

Be careful with this because lessons in life are sometimes painful. Here's a story which is a prime example.

A guy is sitting in the staging lanes at Sunshine with his door wide open looking to the right at his delay box. You know where I'm going with this already! Now, this isn't the first time the guy left his door wide open sitting in the staging lanes, in fact it happened so frequently I always said to myself this guy must be a hard worker to wanna put a door on his car.

You know what finally happened right? Yep! How'd ya know the poor guy got his door ripped off the car! Second thing I thought after I saw the car was wow! This guy must be an extra hard worker because the door took out the front fender too! First thing I thought was that sucks! The guy became an expert at keeping his door shut after that deal.

Hold on we're not done! Another guy walks up looks at it (all these guys are good people, he was just joking) and starts laughing. He gets his door ripped off the next week!

I'm looking at all this madness thinking damn these guys must be hard workers! LoL!

The dude that laughed became an expert at not laughing I'd bet! He was back the next week with a new door too! Hard workers!

We all got a little brighter in two weeks just Being witnesses to that madness!

25 years of leaving my door open and it never got hit. I do pull into the lanes so it doesn’t stick past the divider line when open and before you say that doesn’t stop it from happening well keeping the door shut doesn’t stop someone from coming into your lane in staging lanes and wiping whole side of your car off.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Years ago when i did run tubes, it always took a lot of weight to balance them. Used baby powder also. When i stopped running tubes the weight came down. Just my experience, yours may differ!

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rs72z:
Years ago when i did run tubes, it always took a lot of weight to balance them. Used baby powder also. When i stopped running tubes the weight came down. Just my experience, yours may differ!

The trick with that is to balance the tube before balancing the tire. It's a well kept secret not many think of on their own. Laughing Hard

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
As far as the weight goes, is it rational to assume tubes are faster than no tubes using the same principle fundamentals of the quickest tire in doorslammer drag racing currently, due to reduced deformation, the radial tire, which is also the heaviest tire.

Or no?

I run tubes and beadlocks, both were supposedly slow.

I'd like to see another 3200 lb all steel street car that has been 1.27 60 ft on a 10 x 28 M/T bias tire with a homebuilt N/A 23 sbc with out of the box Brodix T 1 cylinder heads, and a homebuilt 2speed powerglide. Or even a stocker or Super Stocker on the same tire no tube?

Tubes are faster for the same fundamental reasons radials are no?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doesn't everyone use a pillow under their dragster when transporting?

It is an altered so no pillow required. I could use a piece of wood but I will be storing the car between races out of town and just want to hook the trailer up and head to the track without messing around. I trust my tire guy so I think he can do a correct install.

I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions. Very helpful.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post