Find
Notify
Tools

MSD HVC coil,
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted
Who's switched to an MSD HVC coil from the older style round Blaster or Power Plus type? Did you see any difference? It seems many carburetor builders want you to use the HVC coil with their carb.

Posts: 1458 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
I would recommend using the MSD #8251 coil if your using a MSD 7 series box to get the most out of your ignition system. Especially if your using alcohol as a fuel.

IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Wink
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC 582 Head Hunter on alcohol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
I changed to the hvc coil on my Camaro a few years ago, and it seemed to start faster. No issues. I have a digital 6 in my Camaro

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Who's switched to an MSD HVC coil from the older style round Blaster or Power Plus type? Did you see any difference? It seems many carburetor builders want you to use the HVC coil with their carb.

Which MSD ignition box are you using?

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted Hide Post
I switched from 7AL2 with pro power coil and grid controller to grid ignition and HVC coil. RPMa were jagged with 7AL2 and pro power coil. RPMa smoothed out when I went to the grid and HVC coil

Rob Livingston

Posts: 176 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have the New HVC11 or what ever it is on my car but I have been told the specs are exactly the same as the Ford coils that you can get for about $12 at NAPA. Similar to these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unive...d:g:-bEAAOSwBLlU7MMk

I have bought one as a spare but have not ran it. No need to pull a good one off. As for performance difference there was not one bit of difference between the HVC and the old Pro power coil.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
I had a 2 yr. old HVCII the caused a bad skip on top end, took all season to find - I went to original HVC 8251 (as 57 Vette also suggested) skip was gone.

Posts: 255 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

I've got a 6AL

Posts: 1458 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

I've got a 6AL

Imho if you are using the MSD round blaster coils with part # like 8200, 8202,8203, 8223 with the MSD 6al ignition box you have a good matching combination.

I would recommend looking at the spark plug wires for ones that are rated less than 300 ohms per foot and verifying that the your distributor cap, rotor and crank trigger if using are in proper working condition.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Fortunately I'm not having any problems. But every time I've spoken with a carburetor builder they insist I need the blue HVC coil.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
How can having the strongest possible coil available to utilise the output of your ignition system to its fullest be a bad thing?

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I’m using the blue HVC-II coil now.

When I got the HVC coil, I took it with me to the track, along with a new stock replacement Ford E-core coil, and the Blaster II coil that was on my car at the time.
Made a pass with the Blaster II, then put on the Ford e-core and made another pass. Absolutely no difference between the two.
Then I took the Ford e-core off, and put the HVC coil on and made a pass. Again, absolutely no difference except my wallet is now lighter.
No difference in ET, no difference in how it ran, you cannot tell any difference on my car as to which coil it’s using.
Ignition is an old 6AL with a Grid controlling it, triggered by a Moroso crank trigger, MSD Pro Billet (with the large diameter cap), and Taylor wires.
Your results may vary..

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ This advice could save the OP $235 if he does not follow the carb builder’s recommendation.

imho if you want stronger ignition you should consider switching to a higher output ignition. The 6al is rated at 105 - 115 mj. The newer 6al2 is 135 mj. A 7al2/3 is 160 mj. The obsolete Dig7 is 190 mj. The Grid 7720 is 200 – 220 mj.

Along with this ignition upgrade you should consider purchasing the highest output coil that is recommended for the ignition.

I use the Grid 7730 / 7720 in my car. My spare for the 7720 in the event of a failure is a 6al box that I installed the same ends on as the 7720 for a quick emergency install. There is Absolutely no difference in ET between the 7720 and 6al when I’ve switched between them. The 6al is firing the same HVC2 (8261) coil as 7720. This 6al is my backup and I would Not recommend permanently using 8261 coil with the 6al.

BTW, the 6al / 7al2 with Grid 7730 is a greatest / least expensive $400 upgrade to programmable ignition.

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iforgot:

When I got the HVC coil, I took it with me to the track, along with a new stock replacement Ford E-core coil, and the Blaster II coil that was on my car at the time.
Made a pass with the Blaster II, then put on the Ford e-core and made another pass. Absolutely no difference between the two.
Then I took the Ford e-core off, and put the HVC coil on and made a pass. Again, absolutely no difference except my wallet is now lighter.
No difference in ET, no difference in how it ran, you cannot tell any difference on my car as to which coil it’s using.
Ignition is an old 6AL with a Grid controlling it, triggered by a Moroso crank trigger, MSD Pro Billet (with the large diameter cap), and Taylor wires.
Your results may vary..

Thank You, that's a great a-b-c test.

I've run a 6AL for decades and have spares of everything. I know some that bought the blue HVC II coil on carb builders insistence. I've dealt with a carb builder that didn't want to talk to me unless I put an HVC coil on.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your results may vary..
......Ignition is probably the most misunderstood component of a race car. The engines ignition requirements are based on cylinder pressure- fuel type- RPM to some extent. If your ignition is meeting the demands of the motor based on the above conditions, there is no magic laying on the table. But as your power level goes up ( cylinder pressure increases) so does the demand on the ignition. Another area of major misunderstanding is spark plug gap.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bubbletop409
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron C.:
quote:

Your results may vary..
......Ignition is probably the most misunderstood component of a race car. The engines ignition requirements are based on cylinder pressure- fuel type- RPM to some extent. If your ignition is meeting the demands of the motor based on the above conditions, there is no magic laying on the table. But as your power level goes up ( cylinder pressure increases) so does the demand on the ignition. Another area of major misunderstanding is spark plug gap.

Well stated Ron, you would not believe how many people on a Corvette site I frequent believe in manufactures BS claims regarding coils, plug wires, air filters etc. yield untapped power over stock components. PT Barnum stated it best.

Larry
62 Bel-Air 409
79 Cole TR-2 SunsetRaceCraft 565 RIP TRACY
260 Eliminator Eagle XP HP500EFI
NO MO BOMA
WELL DONE USN SEAL TEAM 6
Proud Deplorable

Posts: 60 | Location: Castro Valley, CA State of Insanity | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well stated Ron, you would not believe how many people on a Corvette site I frequent believe in manufactures BS claims regarding coils, plug wires, air filters etc. yield untap

I believe it. My son and I not only build and race our own blown alcohol stuff, but Crew Chief some really fast others cars. Old wive tells are hard to stamp out.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post