DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    which MT tire for sb dragster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which MT tire for sb dragster
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 391T
posted
After running hoosiers for 8 years going to try Mickeys. 15 x 14 wheel I was thinking about the 3074, 30751 or 3080. Swing arm dragster with approx 700hp sbf 4.30 gear runs 5.20s. I had 16 inch wheels with a 33x17x16 hoosier 18500 this past year. Just too much tire for my car.

Scott Smith

Posts: 301 | Location: Barbourville, KY | Registered: December 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've run the 3074 with a 406 and the 3080 last season with a 565. Both in a Racetech hardtail.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
if you're running a 15 x15 wheel, id go 3080. same compound as the 3191w (x8 I think). it what MT rep recommended for my 225 hard tail car.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Why the love loss with the Hoosiers? Which tire/how big were you running?
Just wondering if you saw a change in their product.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6353 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 391T
posted Hide Post
We have only run Hoosiers on the dragster and they shake pretty good in the burnout trying to find something that is a little smoother. We used to run a 15 inch wheel then got a good deal on nicer set of 16 inch wheels and the smallest 16 tire hoosier has is just way to big (18500). Going back with a 15 inch wheel this time and we just wanted to try MT. I already have the new wheels (15x14) and trying to decide on which MT tire. Converter guy said to try the 3080 but MT and lots of others have suggested the 3074. I used to run that and the 3074S on my door car and liked them. I was kinda thinking about the 30751 because it is just a little wider and has a 103 rollout instead of 100 like the 3074. The car has been pretty consistent but I know I have been way too big on the tire for a smallblock. Hard to do a burnout with those big tires in the summer with little to no water. Hard on parts.

Scott Smith

Posts: 301 | Location: Barbourville, KY | Registered: December 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
3074s on my sbc 4 link dragster

Posts: 475 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
30771 on mine, 16 x 32-15S. 1.04-1.05 60' times.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Packmule
posted Hide Post
We are running the 30751 on a hard tail slip joint dragster , sbf running 5.40 with no issues.

Posts: 18 | Location: Southeast Missouri | Registered: January 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sbc 220 inch 4 link 15x16 wheels MT 3080 running 5.20

Posts: 34 | Location: rubicn wi. | Registered: December 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I ran a 12.0 Hoosier for many many years on my car at 5.30. I really like that tire. Added some power this year and was afraid that tire wouldn't be enough and went with a 14" wide tire. I did use a narrower rim with the 12.0.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6353 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I ran Hoosiers for years on my 4 link altered running 5.00 the tires worked okay but were brutal on burn out and tore up stuff. Plus they were not good in high heat here in Texas or those few times when track was cold.

I went to the MT 3074 and it worked great, much smoother, faster and more consistent. Also the MT tire worked better in high heat and on cold tracks.

So when I built my hardtail front engine dragster I used the same 3074 tire and it is not working as well as it did on the 4 link altered. On the dragster it is beating up the tire, bouncing and just not working as good as it did on the altered.

I think the 3074S Stiff Sidewall may be a better tire for the dragster. I did put tubes in the tires last week and it seemed to help some but did not resolve the issues. That makes me think the stiff sidewall may be better on the hardtail.

Since your dragster is suspended I would think that either the 3074 or the 3074S tire may work for you.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3963 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It's strange, I never had a shake in the burnout in my new or my old Hoosiers. Wonder if part of it is how the track is prepped.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I ran the 33x10.5w-15 M/T that came on my sbc digger when I got it and it worked ok, but Hoosier turned me on the the 33x13-15 they said was fairly new and it's been great! 5.0's-5.2's. I do get tire shake if they prep the track too far back but most tires probably would on a small block.

Posts: 11 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ok guys

This is perfect post for me. I’ve got a new shorty dragster with 408 sbc. I have been running the 3074s tire and found that I go down to 5 pounds of air it works pretty good. So here’s my thought process, I’ll get a soft sidewall tire and be able to run little more tire pressure and it should be great. So I order the 30751 tire and it is horrible. Feels like the car is on ice about 400 feet out. I’m gonna put my old tires back on if I don’t figure this out. Anybody got an idea of what to do. This is a new swing arm car.

Not trying to high jack your post just perfect timing.

Posts: 31 | Location: arkansas | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 66belair:
Ok guys

This is perfect post for me. I’ve got a new shorty dragster with 408 sbc. I have been running the 3074s tire and found that I go down to 5 pounds of air it works pretty good. So here’s my thought process, I’ll get a soft sidewall tire and be able to run little more tire pressure and it should be great. So I order the 30751 tire and it is horrible. Feels like the car is on ice about 400 feet out. I’m gonna put my old tires back on if I don’t figure this out. Anybody got an idea of what to do. This is a new swing arm car.

Not trying to high jack your post just perfect timing.

I drive a hardtail front engine dragster and I am running the 3074 tire. I am thinking of trying the 3074S stiff sidewall. So I am guessing your car is suspended?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3963 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Swing arm Nelson car

Posts: 31 | Location: arkansas | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Man ya'll love them big tires.

We run the 33x10.5Wx16 on our 246" sbc digger. Ran both the Hoosier and the M/T and have no preference. We run 1.02-1.04 60' and 4.60's on motor...been .985 60' and 4.20's on the bottle on the same tire. Only other tire I would consider trying on a small bock dragster is the Hoosier 33x14.5L tire....

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ What Ohio said! Way to many over-tired small block cars out there. I was always a Goodyear guy and had great results with them in all kinds of weather. I picked up over a tenth when I went from a 33x16 tire down to a 33x14.

Greg Stanley
Off the grid and off my rocker!

Posts: 6229 | Location: Walnut Creek, CA | Registered: April 11, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 391T
posted Hide Post
We went with the 30751 and it has been great for us. We are running 5 3/4 lbs of air. I ran the 33 x 14.5L x 15 Hoosier a few years ago and it worked but shook bad in the burnout too. The MT are so much better in the burnout for us.

Scott Smith