DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Huffing from catch can
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Huffing from catch can
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Vac pump on a boosted application.

New tune and I think I miss stepped on ignition lead. After 3rd pass, smoke from the catch can passes me as I turn onto the return road. Doesn't seem particularly oily.

I haven't leaked down yet. Last year I had an intake gasket problem that I think i fixed over the winter. Anything obvious I should look for? I'm usually easier on parts than this, but it's kinda uncharted territory for me. Almost same tune was easy on parts and plugs looked good last year.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i am sure you know this but unhook the hose at the valve cover and see what you see.it shouldnt puff and shouldnt have pressure per say at idle or slightly above

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
maybe it was just clearing moisture out

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I should have pulled plugs in the first place. Got caught up in house duties. 7 real nice looking plugs. One missing material it ought to have and having material it shouldn't have. Think either an injector or a nozzle clogged or malfunctioned. Not looking forward to what I will see when I get into it. Nipped the plug and plenty of speckles. That's a first for me.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
glad you found it ,sorry it is what it appears to be.i actually saw the same thing this weekend on another motor

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm half afraid of what I will find. Like to hope it is a gasket, but the speckles, and the direct line of combustion gasses to the crankcase makes me think I wasn't lucky like that.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
That sucks, hope for the best but be prepared for the worse

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Only reason I haven't torn it partially down so far is I would like a running engine to help diagnose a transmission issue. Other than that the first outing of the year went great. LOL.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Where did you go Byron? How was the turnout?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Huffing from paint can....

Sorry, not to make too light of a tragic situation.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Chrome lungs.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
Huffing from paint can....

Sorry, not to make too light of a tragic situation.

LOL isn't not tragic. Just broken stuff. It's not like I didn't earn it!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'd say its a burned piston or a headgasket. Bummer. Compression check will tell you its got a major problem, leak down may help diagnose what that problem is.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I thought about leaking it down. But since it's pushing into the crankcase, the head has to come off anyhow. wish I had a borescope now.
Maybe I'll get lucky and not have cylinder damage.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
wish I had a borescope now.

Get one..... NOW. Not kidding! You can get a cheap Chinese unit that plugs into you phone and free app for cheap. I was so impressed with it I got a stand alone unit. It's a nice semi-pro item but not that much better that the phone unit. Get one their great fun. Look in the crankcase when changing oil, go into the intake manifold, you won't be sorry.

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That's all I need is encouragement to buy a tool! On it!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Bucky, sorry to hear, but glad to see you are taking it as well as anyone could expect to. Roll Eyes
I bought a cheap borescope off an add on FB, (amazing how that shyt pops into your feed, a few minutes after you talk to a buddy about Borescopes on your phone) Mad
It was dirt cheap, (maybe $35-40 IIRC), and surprisingly, it works really well. Illuminated camera, will fit thru a drain plug hole or spark plug port. Attaches to your phone, like Canted Valve said. You can capture still shots or video clips.
It works thru an app called CameraFi.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Footbrake, I paid $5.55 for the Scope (w/adaptors) and $1.79 for a micro USB cord to work with my Android. Of course the Endoscope came from overseas but I was in no hurry at the time. The app I have for my Android is "Realvisor endocamera". That was in May 2019.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No need to go to the dr with one of those in the tool box. Where did you get the scope for that price?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Got it off eBay. Would provide a link but it says "This user is no longer registered on eBay." It was out of Malaysia, not that has any real bearing. So just shop eBay and see what you can find. I would suggest not ordering from overseas for now. This Covid fiasco has freight woefully screwed up if you haven't experience it!

Bucky, here's an offer for a stateside seller on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Water...9438?epid=1471221752

Here is a link to the better unit I bought (different marketing name but same unit, mine is a inskam113) for $60. https://www.amazon.com/RT-113/dp/B07KF2LNN8

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Canted Valve,