DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    EFI Switch Intake choice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EFI Switch Intake choice
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted
I am thinking of switching from my ron's setup to an EFI setup. Current build is 09 M&M 565 HH383 Sniper2. Manifold is hydro dipped so I dont really want the expense of having it stripped to have the intake fitted for efi. My question is when it comes to injection weather it be MFI or EFI does the intake really play a huge part in the power. Reason I ask is I am looking at 3 different intakes. The SV565 , Edelbrock 29165 , & another Sniper 2. The 29165 is already cast as an efi intake so it would only really require a port match where as the other 2 will need to be modified for EFI. Cheaper way would be go with the EFI intake but I do not want to sacrifice performance. Looking for some opinions from you guys

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Well, let me ask a question in a different way: Did air flow make a difference in your selection of intakes for the Ron's setup? Certainly it is important. But worst intake to best intake isn't night and day difference anyhow.

If it were me, I would go for the efi intake and either port match it or run it, then port match if needed. The efi conversion can be a little challenging, but if you have a mill and can weld aluminum, you can do that yourself.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
I didn't because I already had that intake when I bought the the Ron's setup. So I never gave that any thought.

Im am not to worried about the conversion itself since The guy I have helping me with the conversion has run EFI for a long time and he does the work with the intake as well. I don't have a mill nor can I weld Aluminum

quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Well, let me ask a question in a different way: Did air flow make a difference in your selection of intakes for the Ron's setup? Certainly it is important. But worst intake to best intake isn't night and day difference anyhow.

If it were me, I would go for the efi intake and either port match it or run it, then port match if needed. The efi conversion can be a little challenging, but if you have a mill and can weld aluminum, you can do that yourself.

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I only took enough powder coating off to allow the welder to do his thing. Not sure how your hydo would be though.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
It would be ugly I think. I can always call the guy and find out how much it would cost. Probably cheaper in the long run.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Biggest benefit to MFI/EFI is that the manifold only needs to carry air. Think about it this way, with a carb, you need the carb sized accordingly so it will provide fuel because it relies on vacuum to work. Injection doesn't, and that's why the throttle bodies tend to be somewhat larger than a carb...So there isn't the pumping losses on the intake....More air means more fuel....

I think I got that right anyway......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MorgretNation:
I am thinking of switching from my ron's setup to an EFI setup. Current build is 09 M&M 565 HH383 Sniper2. Manifold is hydro dipped so I dont really want the expense of having it stripped to have the intake fitted for efi. My question is when it comes to injection weather it be MFI or EFI does the intake really play a huge part in the power. Reason I ask is I am looking at 3 different intakes. The SV565 , Edelbrock 29165 , & another Sniper 2. The 29165 is already cast as an efi intake so it would only really require a port match where as the other 2 will need to be modified for EFI. Cheaper way would be go with the EFI intake but I do not want to sacrifice performance. Looking for some opinions from you guys

Yes it does, the motor does not know how the fuel is delivered! Runner shape,length and size along with plenum size still matter and should match your application.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Biggest benefit to MFI/EFI is that the manifold only needs to carry air. Think about it this way, with a carb, you need the carb sized accordingly so it will provide fuel because it relies on vacuum to work. Injection doesn't, and that's why the throttle bodies tend to be somewhat larger than a carb...So there isn't the pumping losses on the intake....More air means more fuel....

No that is not correct. Even if the injectors are close to the head, the entire manifold is wet when the engine is running!

Carb's are dumb, but they listen to what the motor wants! MFI is stupid, it just knows engine rpm and that's what determines how much fuel the motor gets. EFI just does what it's programed to do, whether the motor wants it or not is another question. EFI can adjust fuel but it's based on info that has already happened!

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nicely stated!

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I think I'm gonna cry now.... Didn't think of that

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

No that is not correct. Even if the injectors are close to the head, the entire manifold is wet when the engine is running!

Carb's are dumb, but they listen to what the motor wants! MFI is stupid, it just knows engine rpm and that's what determines how much fuel the motor gets. EFI just does what it's programed to do, whether the motor wants it or not is another question. EFI can adjust fuel but it's based on info that has already happened!

Is there that much reversion at speed with these engines?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rick!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

^^This is reminiscent of the spiel by the Pro Systems guy...
Sell the hydro dipped intake and get one that needs less total work/investment but supports your power level.
Tunnel rams with dual TBs are kinda cool though...

Posts: 81 | Location: behind this screen | Registered: July 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post