Find
Notify
Tools

Helmets
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted
I need to order a new helmet as well as a new suit. The suit will be a Sparco from Biondo.

I previously had a carbon Sparco helmet which was damaged in a crash. I hated the removable cheek pads which the plastic snap always came loose and wouldn't want to stay attached.

Would like to try a Bell carbon this time or possibly a Stilo composite.

I haven't been able to find a dealer with any in stock that is close enough to go and try some on. Given that fact I'm forced to order online.

Competition Motorsports in Texas seems to have the best selection in stock as well as the most informative web site on sizing and head shapes and what helmets fit what shape heads.

Those that have used Bell or Stilo, is there anything I should be aware of good or bad?

Any other dealers I should be contacting?

Any recommended models $1500 and lower? This is for a closed ****pit door car.

thanks

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
www.Behrents.com

My son's latest helmet is a Bell Carbon RS7 with HP7 spoiler and air vents, made in Bahrain and with it's Todd's Extreme paint, might be the most expensive helmet in all of bracket racing. Holy Moly

https://www.facebook.com/watch...NK-UNK-IOS_GK0T-GK1C

He also wears a Bell non carbon Vador in the door car.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks.

Liking the GT6 carbon as a possible first choice but also looking at the RS7 carbon and the M.8 carbon.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I like my Impact Champ....made in USA as well....most comfortable helmet I've ever worn....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Since you are looking at bell and stilo, maybe check out Schuberth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNnEr5TDMlE

https://www.schuberth.com/us/p...cing/sp1-carbon.html

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Outside the OP’s budget

quote:
Originally posted by Fabman:

Any recommended models $1500 and lower? This is for a closed ****pit door car.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed, didn’t pay attention to that part

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the input.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack this thread, but figured this info might apply to a few who are following it:
I have a 4 year old Simpson Carbon Bandit that I am very happy with but it is starting to get nasty after 4 seasons of sweat. The thought of spending nearly $1,000 to replace a perfectly good helmet didn't really appeal to me so I called Simpson to inquire and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they will put all new lining & padding in mine for $150.00. I'll happily spend $150 to get that fresh new helmet feeling... almost seems too good to be true! I'm sending it out tomorrow & I'll report back when I get it back if anyone is interested.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've used the majority of the major brands, 4 Arai , 2 Bell, 1 Stilo as well as some of the lower level brands (1 simpson, 1 impact). I raced karts professionally for 15 years and have been drag racing for 12. For what its worth, I wouldnt recommend anything other than bell, arai, stilo or schuberth.

Yes, I know they all meet the same basic testing requirements, but the quality of the materials and fitment are lightyears different.

Currently I am using a Stilo ST-5 carbon and its the best fitting and most comfortable helmet I've ever worn.

The Arai AUTO racing helmets (not the motorcycles ones) are second on my list when it comes to comfort and fitment.

The bells I've had were ok, but not as comfortable and didn't vent as well.

I've had an impact and simpson and I can say they are the worst quality materials I've ever seen. The shell itself just feels cheap and much less rigid than any others I've had. Yes, they are less expensive in cost than the others, but unfortunately that cost difference shows itself in cheap crappy materials.

You don't need a carbon helmet, but an overall lighter helmet with the same strength will be much more comfortable to wear and less stressful on your neck during a run and more importantly in the event of a crash.

The following few are within your price range

Stilo ST5 composite (non carbon)

Arai GP-7

Bell RS-7

Posts: 63 | Location: youngstown, oh | Registered: February 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian McHattie:
I've used the majority of the major brands, 4 Arai , 2 Bell, 1 Stilo as well as some of the lower level brands (1 simpson, 1 impact). I raced karts professionally for 15 years and have been drag racing for 12. For what its worth, I wouldnt recommend anything other than bell, arai, stilo or schuberth.

Yes, I know they all meet the same basic testing requirements, but the quality of the materials and fitment are lightyears different.

Currently I am using a Stilo ST-5 carbon and its the best fitting and most comfortable helmet I've ever worn.

The Arai AUTO racing helmets (not the motorcycles ones) are second on my list when it comes to comfort and fitment.

I've had an impact and simpson and I can say they are the worst quality materials I've ever seen. The shell itself just feels cheap and much less rigid than any others I've had. Yes, they are less expensive in cost than the others, but unfortunately that cost difference shows itself in cheap crappy materials.

You don't need a carbon helmet, but an overall lighter helmet with the same strength will be much more comfortable to wear and less stressful on your neck during a run and more importantly in the event of a crash.

Arai GP-7

Bell RS-7

Having survived a nasty top end crash at 150 mph barrel rolling 7 times, wearing a Sparco carbon helmet and a Simpson Hybrid Sport head & neck restraint, I’m not looking to take a step backwards in safety or helmet weight. If I don’t do a Bell carbon it will be a Stilo composite.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fabman,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fabman:
quote:
Originally posted by Brian McHattie:

Arai GP-7

Bell RS-7

Having survived a nasty top end crash at 150 mph barrel rolling 7 times, wearing a Sparco carbon helmet and a Simpson Hybrid Sport head & neck restraint, I’m not looking to take a step backwards in safety or helmet weight. If I don’t do a Bell carbon it will be a Stilo composite.

I would HIGHLY recommend anything STILO then, far and away better quality than any bell I've ever worn.....

Posts: 63 | Location: youngstown, oh | Registered: February 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info!

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Give pyrotech a look.Lil brother got a carbon fiber one not sure what modle but seems to like a lot,He did say it was so lite ,that when he got it he thought box was empty or just decals and t-shirts.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
Not to hijack this thread, but figured this info might apply to a few who are following it:
I have a 4 year old Simpson Carbon Bandit that I am very happy with but it is starting to get nasty after 4 seasons of sweat. The thought of spending nearly $1,000 to replace a perfectly good helmet didn't really appeal to me so I called Simpson to inquire and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they will put all new lining & padding in mine for $150.00. I'll happily spend $150 to get that fresh new helmet feeling... almost seems too good to be true! I'm sending it out tomorrow & I'll report back when I get it back if anyone is interested.

Back with an update as promised: just got my helmet back from Simpson - all new lining & padding plus a new chin strap for $165.00. My carbon shell and visor were in perfect shape, so it's like I have a brand new $1000.00 helmet for less than $200.00... definitely something to consider if you like your helmet and it still has a few years of cert left but you just want "fresh".

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Billy,

If you wear a head sock you won't have that problem. Just wash the head sock periodically and the helmet stays nice and clean. Plus it will help protect you in case of fire.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5307 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post