DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Car slowed 3 tenths
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car slowed 3 tenths
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
All new combination, this year. Installed an MSD Grid system (7720 and 7730), new crank trigger and distributor. Car was flawless the first 8 passes of this year, running right where it left off last season. Between rounds, the car loses 3 tenths. Acted like a converter broke, slow to rev and flat on rpm after the shift. Changed converters, went through the fuel system, compression, timing, rotor phase, and such. Looking at the grid playback, shows no timing movement, as it is locked and I do not use the retard feature. Car is consistent enough to race, but still 3 slow. I've read some posts on the 7730 failing and pulling timing. Called MSD and was told to put ground straps on the back of both heads to the chassis, and run power wires directly to the battery. Anyone have some input on this. Thanks

troyboy,"giterdun boyz"

Posts: 2 | Location: in. | Registered: November 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by troyboyracing:
All new combination, this year. Installed an MSD Grid system (7720 and 7730), new crank trigger and distributor. Car was flawless the first 8 passes of this year, running right where it left off last season. Between rounds, the car loses 3 tenths. Acted like a converter broke, slow to rev and flat on rpm after the shift. Changed converters, went through the fuel system, compression, timing, rotor phase, and such. Looking at the grid playback, shows no timing movement, as it is locked and I do not use the retard feature. Car is consistent enough to race, but still 3 slow. I've read some posts on the 7730 failing and pulling timing. Called MSD and was told to put ground straps on the back of both heads to the chassis, and run power wires directly to the battery. Anyone have some input on this. Thanks

Put a noise filter on it.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by troyboyracing:
All new combination, this year.
running right where it left off last season.

contradictory statement

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I should have clarified. New combination last August, with 20 passes on it. Grid and crank trigger were installed over the winter.

troyboy,"giterdun boyz"

Posts: 2 | Location: in. | Registered: November 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Kinda sounds like it spun the stator tube. If it seems like it tries to die, when you put it in gear, probably spun the tube.

8 nice laps, then slow down 3 tenths. I'd be thinking more along these lines after changing the converter, possibly. Powerglide

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
Could be a lot of things.

About 4 years ago I was running my old squarebody pickup truck with an even older 482. Last run of the night I let it get away from me rolling out of the water and buzzed it to 8500rpm. Other guy in the final round broke his transmission, so I just gently drove it down the track, loaded up and collected my check.

Next day at a track one state over the truck is off .29 to the 1/8th. Sounds good, just slow. The darn thing was dead on all day, with 4 rounds total package less than .010

Turned out that I broke three middle springs in that water box deal the night prior.

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post