DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Kevlar header contact
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kevlar header contact
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
My stainless headers are so close to my pan that the diaper will most likely be in constant contact with one tube. This is a DRE diaper that Dennis did about 6 years ago. I've been told that stainless doesn't transmit heat like mild steel so I should be okay, but I think Dennis told me stainless had to be wrapped if the diaper lays against the tube. The "I'm good" wisdom is from people that don't have first hand experience, so I'm skeptical. Am I good or am I looking for a belly pan?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ron Gusack,

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
My stainless headers are so close to my pan that the diaper will most likely be in constant contact with one tube. This is a DRE diaper that Dennis did about 6 years ago. I've been told that stainless doesn't transmit heat like mild steel so I should be okay, but I think Dennis told me stainless had to be wrapped if the diaper lays against the tube. The "I'm good" wisdom is from people that don't have first hand experience, so I'm skeptical. Am I good or am I looking for a belly pan?

I had a DRE diaper with kevlar & one tube (unwrapped mild steel) was very near the kevlar panel. It burnt a hole through the kevlar.

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2505 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had a dre diaper with Kevlar panels on my old Vega. I had plain steel painted headers. On driver side one tube was hard against the diaper. I ran it three or four years before I had him replace the Kevlar part. No hole burned through but did turn the panel hard and dark brown where the tube touched.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
same here^^^

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Take and wrap the pipe area with some header wrap. I have a DRE universal diaper that’s 10+ yrs old and two pipes rub against the diaper. Wrapping pipe with header wrap at those areas keeps the diaper from melting.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
and my current DRE Kevlar diaper

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
and my current DRE Kevlar diaper

It looks like you might have some header diaper contact but no wrap. Is this because your headers are chromed or is there space?

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No space and coated not chromed