Find
Notify
Tools

Little M block
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of drslmr
posted
Anyone ever have any oil pressure issues with a little m block ?

There is a substitute for cubic inches!

Posts: 70 | Location: Enola,Pa.USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
No, but you do need 4 restrictors

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drslmr:
Anyone ever have any oil pressure issues with a little m block ?

Too much or too little?

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of drslmr
posted Hide Post
All 4 restrictors are in . the engine has 60 lb. pressure on the starter start it up good pressure initially when it heats up it drops off like on a run 20 lb. by the 330 . new engine we changed oil pump didn't help.

Posts: 70 | Location: Enola,Pa.USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slick Vic:

Why do you think he needs restrictors?

I run a dart block little m, when should you use them?

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
All 4 restrictors are in . the engine has 60 lb. pressure on the starter start it up good pressure initially when it heats up it drops off like on a run 20 lb. by the 330 . new engine we changed oil pump didn't help.

Is this a visual with a mechanical gauge or a data logger? I had a problem with my logger sensor calibration when actual pressure was good.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3970 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I had an issue with a 454 Chevy block not dart that lost pressure going down the track that turned out to be destructors not spun in all the way. It was my spare motor and was in car a couple weeks while my main motor was getting fixed and when I pulled it out I saw oil streak down back of block which upon inspection rest I tore were about to come out of the block. I tightened them up and then sold the motor and the guy never had an issue with it.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
What model # pump and what pick up? How deep is oil pan?

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What main bearings? I have had two dart small blocks that came with mains that had 3/4 groove in the bearings do same thing. Changed out the bearings for normal 1/2 groove mains and problem went away.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of drslmr
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's an 1122 block with a high volume pump HV77 your told to use restrictors .it is a mechanical guage and light with a 30 lb. switch . it's mylodon pan w/recommended pickup. the main bearings are clevite H .

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's an 1122 block with a high volume pump HV77 your told to use restrictors .it is a mechanical guage and light with a 30 lb. switch . it's mylodon pan w/recommended pickup. the main bearings are clevite H .

They do not list 1122 Little M blocks. 2211 (Sportsman) or 1111 (Comp). I believe the M-77HV pump you list is for BBC.

DRR Trophy
Picture of drslmr
posted Hide Post
My error its 2211 .I use the 77HV pump on my small block I've used them for many years trouble free.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
quote:

You don’t need restrictors. Follow Dart INSTRUCTIONS and use a Standard Volume pump.

I use a Melling 10552 that is 10% more volume than Standard in my SHP and now Little M no restrictors. Learned this years ago from Carl Hinkson (CNC Blocks Northeast) as he’s used this pump model in hundreds of builds to date. Does not empty the pan sump like a HV pump would if not using restrictors. If using HV pump you need restrictors.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

Standard volume high pressure. 5 quart pan.

OP the 2211 sportsman block has no oil restrictor option. It doesn't have the 1/4" threaded holes option at the front, the competition block does. You can't run conventional restrictors in the dart lil M blocks. If you feed these blocks from the back you'd restrict (option) the front .060 -.120 hole in the 1/4 npt plug in the lifter galley on a competition block. You don't have that option on the 2211 sportsman. Anyone with a competition block would or could (option) restrict the back the same way, if feeding oil from the front.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Run 4 home made restrictors, plugs with holes in them in my little M. Bearings and cam look great when coming apart every few years. Moroso SBC billet pump.

302-786-1078

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CNC BLOCKS N/E
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
quote:

You don’t need restrictors. Follow Dart INSTRUCTIONS and use a Standard Volume pump.

I use a Melling 10552 that is 10% more volume than Standard in my SHP and now Little M no restrictors. Learned this years ago from Carl Hinkson (CNC Blocks Northeast) as he’s used this pump model in hundreds of builds to date. Does not empty the pan sump like a HV pump would if not using restrictors. If using HV pump you need restrictors.

If your running roller lifters the oil restriction is in the lifter bore clearance as the oil holes in the lifters are above the oil band. if your lifter bore clearance is .0014 to .002 you should have plenty of oil getting to the rockers. On some builds I do slot on one side of the lifter just a very small groove from the oil band to the oil hole.

Also you should not be using cam bearings with 3 holes way to much bleed off on all 5 journals which will cause a lot of windage issues.

Most of my drag builds I mostly use STD. Volume high pressure pumps because oil temps are so low and the oil is to thick at low temps which seems to work.

To the OP whats your lifter bore clearance something I pay close attention to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpfOKr3B3FA

Website is up and running
hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Some of our products
hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/products/
[u

Posts: 461 | Location: NORTHEAST | Registered: February 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post