DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Silverado eating spark plug electrodes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silverado eating spark plug electrodes
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Ethanol is an octane booster, but not the kind of octane an engine really likes.
The Ethanol free "premium" I can buy local is only 90 R/M2 rated.
Our '18 Acadia says it will run on 87, but it's 10:1 + static compression, I think it appreciates some octane.

My Yukon Denali really likes the e85. Figures in the middle of corn country there aren't any stations near me carrying it. LOL.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Ethanol is an octane booster, but not the kind of octane an engine really likes.
Our '18 Acadia says it will run on 87, but it's 10:1 + static compression, I think it appreciates some octane.

My Yukon Denali really likes the e85. Figures in the middle of corn country there aren't any stations near me carrying it. LOL.

As it should!
It's liquid compression at 147% fuel required, and the cooler intake temperatures. The performance gain is not from octane or timing adjustments,

I accidentally pumped possibly 3 or 4 gallons of water into my car a while back, it stumbled along real bad, I put about 2 1/2 gallons of E-85 in and cleared it up in a few miles.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Goob,

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1647 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

As it should!
It's liquid compression at 147% more fuel required, and the cooler intake temperatures. The performance gain is not from octane or timing adjustments,

I accidentally pumped possibly 3 or 4 gallons of water into my car a while back, it stumbled along real bad, I put about 2 1/2 gallons of E-85 in and cleared it up in a few miles.

Actually it is from timing adjustments. GM gen IV ecu’s add multiple degrees of timing everywhere based on ethanol content. It’s also probably from the octane. On 87 they will knock learn down to the low octane timing tables which will be multiple degrees lower timing as well. Easily 5-6 degrees difference between High Octane timing tables with ethanol adders vs. low octane low ethanol.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
quote:
quote:
quote:

As it should!
It's liquid compression at 147% more fuel required, and the cooler intake temperatures. The performance gain is not from octane or timing adjustments,

Actually it is from timing adjustments. GM gen IV ecu’s add multiple degrees of timing everywhere based on ethanol content. It’s also probably from the octane. On 87 they will knock learn down to the low octane timing tables which will be multiple degrees lower timing as well. Easily 5-6 degrees difference between High Octane timing tables with ethanol adders vs. low octane low ethanol.

True on both. They have an alcohol sensor and a different timing table.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well, not exactly...

Gen ivs use a virtual sensor. When the ecu sees the fuel level higher than last time it disables closed loop and then adjusts the stoich value in its calcs over the next few miles until the o2s go back to switching properly. It then sets this as the new stoich, translates this to an ethanol content, then goes back to closed loop.

I was trying to tune my wife’s suburban and couldn’t figure out why it all of a sudden wouldn’t go closed loop after I filled up so I went searching and found this little nugget.

So, I would recommend if you are near empty and running on 93, then fill up with e85 that you drive carefully for a few miles. If you go WOT coming out of the gas station you’re putting a lot of faith in the knock sensors.

Also if you turn the car off shortly after your fill up it terminates the ethanol content learn and you may be relying on a bunch of fuel trim until the next fill up. So if you go from e85 to 93 and shut it off right away for some reason, you’ll be dead rich at WOT because a lean fuel trim doesn’t get carried into Power Enrich at WOT.

I had no clue there was this much going on in the new cpus until I started hacking them recently. Kinda fun.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Great info!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo