DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Silverado eating spark plug electrodes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silverado eating spark plug electrodes
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
2010 2500 6.0L. Bone stock.
I picked it up about a year ago. Changed the plugs, and one was completely missing the center electrode. No idea how many miles were on them but the truck had a tad over 100k on it. 6 months later and a trip to florida and back with the trailer, and all the gaps are big. Any ideas?
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbc...13be20d9&oe=603B28D8

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Are those Double Platinum Spark Plugs??

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Those iridium tip?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those iridium tip?

If those are, I bought a used car with 21k and pulled the plugs (AC Delco and no doubt original) and one center electrode was GONE and another fell off when I was checking the gap. So I went with double platinum which have a larger center electrode. I can about imagine what a little piece of hard iridium would do caught just above the top ring or in a valve seat.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
could it be a sensor saying too much timing or too little fuel

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1392 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I'd say something isn't right. No way those plugs should be that bad that soon. I'd get it checked out completely along with the new plugs. Might have an o2 sensor off, injector, MAF, MAP, or other sensor issue that is in control of the fuel and timing maps......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Those iridium tip?

That's what they are sold as. They appear to be copy cats to me. The printing doesn't look right.

Maybe double platnum is the way to go...

As far as something wrong,.....I believe it. But no codes to read. Not sure where a tech is going to start with it..

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I have to question the heat range or cross reference part number error....

Put a set of the O.E. plugs in it. 60-100K would be normal service life depending on operating conditions.
Don't buy big box store or blister pack plugs, go to the dealer AC Delco distributor.

Those look weird.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1620 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
"...go to the dealer AC Delco distributor."

To each his own but see my post above. Those were OEM installed AC Delco iridium plugs in a 2012 Corvette with a factory hand built LS3 engine. This car was a garage queen and never saw anything akin to abuse. As state, at 21k one tip was gone and another fell off while checking the gap. You couldn't give me free AC Delco iridium plugs, way too much to lose. JMO

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
check for coolant entering the cylinder, very small trace will eat up the electrodes

Posts: 18 | Location: PENNA. | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QUARTERFISH:
check for coolant entering the cylinder, very small trace will eat up the electrodes

How you you check that? Plug shows no coolant but probably wouldn't if there isn't much

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
First of all don’t gap iridium or platinum tip plugs can mess them up if you drag a gauge across the tip. As to how to check for coolant leak buy or rent a pressure tester remove plug from suspect cylinder and pressurize cooling system listen by plug hole or look for coolant out of plug hole

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
depending on the amount in the chamber will determine the visual, very small trace will usually be harder to verify, sometimes due to pigment added to coolant it can be identified with a black light, but ultimately a pressure test of the cooling system with extended pressure hold, plug out and borescope will catch it. the rapid cooling effect of the antifreeze on the hot electrode causes to severe wear, even though it is a spark plug they do not like to be therocycled. hope this helps.

Posts: 18 | Location: PENNA. | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
"...go to the dealer AC Delco distributor."

To each his own but see my post above. Those were OEM installed AC Delco iridium plugs in a 2012 Corvette with a factory hand built LS3 engine. This car was a garage queen and never saw anything akin to abuse. As state, at 21k one tip was gone and another fell off while checking the gap. You couldn't give me free AC Delco iridium plugs, way too much to lose. JMO

Don't really care about your Corvette, Dude, we're talking about the OP's tow truck.
BUT, since you interjected your experience, you're probably running crap fuel and detonating the plugs, first guess.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1620 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Regarding fuel....shouldn't a stock tune stock vehicle be ok with standard gas?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Regarding fuel....shouldn't a stock tune stock vehicle be ok with standard gas?

Not necessarily. We own two vehicles that they recommend premium fuel.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not necessarily. We own two vehicles that they recommend premium fuel.

He stated his is a 2010. My 2012 Corvette "recommends but not required" 93 octane. Says it will just result in less power. I would be surprised if his 2010 doesn't have the same capabilities. That is if it even recommends premium.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have never seen that gas silverado 2500's need premium fuel. Corvette I get.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My wife’s 2010 5.3 is on the edge on 87, even when it was all stock. The only way you get reduced power with 87 vs. 93 is for it to knock learn. For that, you gotta have knock. Usually not a problem, but with a little defect in the spark plug, the knock would help it along.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Ethanol is an octane booster, but not the kind of octane an engine really likes.
The Ethanol free "premium" I can buy local is only 90 R/M2 rated.
Our '18 Acadia says it will run on 87, but it's 10:1 + static compression, I think it appreciates some octane.

Dave Cook
N375