DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Who’s grinding your camshafts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who’s grinding your camshafts?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ballz
posted Hide Post
Immokalee isn't working for me, can't stick my car for ****. /QUOTE]

Really? I'd be looking at setup. This is my home track...4 teens @ 171

Posts: 313 | Location: west palm beach, fla. usa | Registered: June 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted March 03, 2019 11:39 AM Hide Post
quote:
posted March 03, 2019 10:00 AM Hide Post
Those buying from Erson are they custom grinds or off the shelf? Who is the go to guy at Erson?

bullit is also erson

quote:
Erson here. I have an account with PBM/Erson.

i stand corrected got ultradyne confused in my head,lol

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1412 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ballz:

Been there twice on a test night, both times spun hard...not in the setup, it's the track.. Hell, second time even street cars couldn't get down the track. I need to test, but not gonna show up for a race to test my car....only other reasonable option is Bradenton...Unless Immokalee has other days where they prep the track better...I am open to suggestions.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
I go straight to the people that make most of the blanks, and probably grind most of the cams. LSM Engineering.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had Ed make mine. Had bullet. Picked up right at .23 with just a cam swap.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bullet in all of our engines.

When I bought my new CFE heads they said Bullets are typically faster than other cams but are harder on springs because they have a more aggressive ramp.

When we bought my wife’s car turnkey, it had a Shafiroff 540 with a comp cam in it. After I kicked the rods and hurt the cam we had Bullet grind us something very similar to the Comp. The car picked up .04 or .05. She’s been a best of 7.43 at 180 with it. Faster than a lot of big engines Wink

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
I always use a RM grind from Erson. I've always figured that they have spent a lot of time on the dyno, so i'll just use what they use in a similar motor. I ain't no camshaft expert...

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
quote:
posted March 03, 2019 11:39 AM Hide Post
quote:
posted March 03, 2019 10:00 AM Hide Post
Those buying from Erson are they custom grinds or off the shelf? Who is the go to guy at Erson?

bullit is also erson

quote:
Erson here. I have an account with PBM/Erson.

i stand corrected got ultradyne confused in my head,lol

Rusty, Erson has quite a catalog of "shelf" cams as well as grinding a cam to your specs.
I just ordered a cam for a street rod blown BBC from them using a popular "shelf" profile but had the LC opened up to accommodate the blower.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2035 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I spec them, LSM or Comp grinds them.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 23taltered:
I always use a RM grind from Erson. I've always figured that they have spent a lot of time on the dyno, so i'll just use what they use in a similar motor. I ain't no camshaft expert...

Any company like R&M and the cams they use in their off the shelve motors are design to be user friendly!! The last thing they need is bad PR due to the end user not fully understanding what is required for maintenance which leads to failures that could of easily been avoided! I can't tell you how many times I have heard, you have to check/adjust the valves every xx runs!!!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I've been a Bullet customer for several years.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
Jones Cams have been the fastest on our engines.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Comp cams built my last cam. Fast and very accurate. Pick the intake and exhaust lobes from their master list and tell them the LSA.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:
Originally posted by Ballz:

Been there twice on a test night, both times spun hard...not in the setup, it's the track.. Hell, second time even street cars couldn't get down the track. I need to test, but not gonna show up for a race to test my car....only other reasonable option is Bradenton...Unless Immokalee has other days where they prep the track better...I am open to suggestions.....

Suggestion...
Go on a Saturday when actual races are happening, they do have Saturday T&T during the races. A Friday night test will bring out a plethora of bracket cars, and a quagmire of street cars. As most know race cars and street cars don't mix very well, although in the past 12 years I have yet to have any traction related issues, even on a Friday night. Albeit I am sure my slug is no match for your dragster, It has managed some 5.0 and 1.18 times on occasion. Fridays are just a tad slower with 1.19-1.20 but I expect that, being it is a Friday night. A few faster door cars are in the 4.6 range, but everybody knows not to expect them to waste a bunch of money on track prep for the 4-5 cars that might show up on a Friday. But Mister Ballz and his silly roots blown vodka injected anemic Ford powered digger can get down the track without issue might provide a clue about setup or converter.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post