DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Front tire questions for altered.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front tire questions for altered.
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted
I have a new suspended altered with front brakes. I do not want to put the skinnies on there but do not like the fat funny car style tires. Actually would like a fairly tall narrow tire similar to motorcycle tires.

Have seen some 17" (or taller)motorcycle tires that look perfect but are they legal in NHRA? Will the tires work on our rims? They are rated for more than the speeds and weight than my car would ever do.

I tried to look up the NHRA rules for tires and could not find it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4018 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Bruce how about the top fuel front tire? Goodyear? Much bigger than the skinny yet much smaller than the funny car tire...

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Most motorcycle tires are rated for 180mph+ so you should be good there, didn't know there was an NHRA rated tire?

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
M&H Makes short altered tire.
Its 15" rim/ 22" tall and 3.5" wide
Have used them in the past. Good tire not to big.

Posts: 5 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am wanting a taller tire than the 24 inch tire I have now and would also like one not as wide.

Do not know about NHRA rated but I may race the NHRA Heritage series out in California next year and do not want to get kicked out for something stupid. Several of the races are almost 4000 miles round trip and will cost a lot each race.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4018 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Put the motorcycle tires on it. No front tire rule that I know of except you can’t run belts like Garlits did. I’ve been running the scooter tires on the dragster for years now. No issues. Good luck!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post