DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Cylinder Head Questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cylinder Head Questions
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Shabs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
Alright Shabs, I keep seeing people talk about square port vs oval port for alcohol on BBC's.. What head would you chose if building a 615-632 to run alky in a 1950lb dragster, wanting to run 4.50's in 2500' of air at 1100' elevation?

To me, I would think this is where the Brodix Headhunter 383 or something like the Profiler 375 shine.. But is something like the BB3 380 Rec. port a better option?

In my opinion, Alcohol is for Boosted Applications, Sprint Cars, and Footbrake cars... however, if you really want to run something that big on alcohol go to MC Head Hunters, and as high of compression as you can get. You're trying to light a match (the plug) in a Hurricane and that's not very easy to do.

Once you cross over the 582" mark, making something run well on alcohol takes a lot more attention to detail and preparation.

To answer your question, go with the bigger head and larger plenum volume. You're gonna need 'em both.

Mike@FrankensteinED.net

Posts: 17 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: March 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Shabs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
I would take a 9** over a 20** everyday.

I've grown pretty fond of the 11° from Dart but we also do plenty of the DN-9°'s too. They're both very nice.

Mike@FrankensteinED.net

Posts: 17 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: March 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my opinion, Alcohol is for Boosted Applications,

mike any issues with the headhunter 383 with methanol carb,boosted vs profiler sniper 375x

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jenavet,

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Shabs
posted Hide Post
Never messed with Profiler stuff outside of one set of SBC heads so while I'd love to give you some data and experience... I don't have any here.

Sorry

Mike@FrankensteinED.net

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
Out of the box 383 Headhunters VS Profilers you won’t see any ET Difference. You better have the right came with a lot of Exhaust duration if running the Headhunters on alcohol or you’ll have a miss

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Have you seen or worked with a set of the Shafiroff Brodix X20 cylinder heads? I saw a video of them on Facebook but was curious if anyone else has some experience with them.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Shabs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Mike,

Have you seen or worked with a set of the Shafiroff Brodix X20 cylinder heads? I saw a video of them on Facebook but was curious if anyone else has some experience with them.

It's a BRX head from what I can tell. If it takes the same manifold, same rockers, same pistons, same valves... it's the same head.

Mike@FrankensteinED.net

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Yessir, any experience? Works well? I would like to keep my same valve covers and these are supposed to use a stock BBC bolt pattern valve cover. I know that sounds dumb but I really like my valve covers and thought about doing a 615 with those heads? Any known issues I should be aware of?

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Shabs
posted Hide Post
It's a BRX head. That's it. Van Arnold is going 178 mph in S/G with a set we ported using stainless valves so once you can widdle a good shape in it with a nice valve job they'll absolutely scream.

Mike@FrankensteinED.net

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Mike,

That head has fallen off the face of the planet! It's not on any of their recent adds! They put that out there many many moons ago. It was advertised with larger intake valve. I'd say based on there being very very few out there it had issues. As for the valve covers, one bolt is moved about 3/8" on top on the Dart & Bordix 20 degree heads. You can't used the stock valve covers, they moved that bolt due to rocker clearance needed. Maybe you could modify yours????

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Well I'd like to ask. But since I don't do a chevy, guess I'm out of luck...lol
Just stirring since Ed hasn't.. lol

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Top38,

I thought about that, modifying my valve covers. My engine builder teases me about my valve covers. He says I’d pick up a tenth if I got those 400 pound covers off of it. LOL

His theory is if you’re gonna spend a bunch of money anyway you might as well put spreadport heads on to begin with.

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Vern did you say you are selecting a new head based on need to fit existing valve covers? If so post a picture of them.
My billet rail weld up aluminums I ran was approaching that. Had the oil fill bung and vac pump and vac sensor bungs placed right. I even polished them now and then. lol

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

Best looking valve covers ever! I've had guys come by the car just to take pictures of the valve covers. Sorry they are dirty in this picture.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Shabs, sending private message.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3979 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
All this talk about large blocks how about some poor boy combos, like what you like for a standard 23* for 383" mild camshaft, 13:1, alcohol, and same thing for a 406"?

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Shabs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve from Pa:
All this talk about large blocks how about some poor boy combos, like what you like for a standard 23* for 383" mild camshaft, 13:1, alcohol, and same thing for a 406"?

PM Sent

Mike@FrankensteinED.net

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Here's another one for you then Shabs... How about a 6.0LS stroked to 402-418.. Somewhere in that range.. This would be what you say is a footbrake car, some kind of backhalf car, probably still pretty heavy with full interior.. 600+ hp, on alcohol. Footbrake/transbrake (Likely more transbrake than footbrake around us). Whatcha got?

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post