Tools

Air vs. Co2?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
how do you determine when the 10 oz bottle is full?

Used to fill them at Autofab. Just open both bottles, it's a gas and equalizes. Just make sure the bottle you are filling is frozen to get the best results.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Anyone know the size or part number for the adapter for the 10oz bottle to a #4 or 6an male?

Posts: 2421 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
quote:
how do you determine when the 10 oz bottle is full?

Used to fill them at Autofab. Just open both bottles, it's a gas and equalizes. Just make sure the bottle you are filling is frozen to get the best results.

I have a digital fish scale...just hang the bottle off of it.

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
How do you post a PDF file? David Friedenburg sent me all the instructions and parts list to do the CO2 thing but not sure how to post it here.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
How do you post a PDF file? David Friedenburg sent me all the instructions and parts list to do the CO2 thing but not sure how to post it here.

Place the pdf file in your Dropbox account and then link it to the web.

Don’t have a Dropbox account, go HERE and get one with 2gb storage for free.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I use nitrogen because..well..it's free from where I work, I've got a setup where I fill from refrigeration hoses, put 500 pounds or so in and it lasts for a couple months. I keep a smallish nitrogen bottle with me, I can recharge my 10oz bottle in minutes between rounds if need be. It's dry, too. Set my regulator to 100 psi, aint missed a shift yet.

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
K&R air compressor and never worry about it. Plumbed where it runs the throttle stop and I have air at the front and rear if I need it for the tires. Hose stays in the glove box of the dragster.

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
quote:
Hero,

as a public service, I request you post photos of the hardware required to transfer from big bottle to small bottle. Also, how do you determine when the 10 oz bottle is full?
A scale is an important part of this equation. You need to know the empty weight and add 9oz. You can add 10oz, but you chance popping off in the heat.
I had one do this in the trailer. Scared the crap out of everyone. Another reason I'm going to air. Cool JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pivotdoc: I had one do this in the trailer. Scared the crap out of everyone. Another reason I'm going to air. Cool JB

JB, I understand, but had the bottle been filled correctly, it wouldn't have burst, and would have performed for 100's of runs. A well maintained system with a single bottle will last most racers for a full season without needing a refill.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just to share my setup, I have a 2.5# bottle in my dragster mounted under the dash ahead of my feet. Just purchased another 2.5# bottle for my wife's car and I'm going to mount it in the same place as mine with the throttle stop on the pedal. The 2.5# bottle lasts 2 or more years on a fill which is why I like them. I ordered a Biondo automatic shutoff solenoid for hers and I'm planning on leaving the bottle on all the time and using the solenoid to turn it on either with the main power or ignition.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
As Pivotdoc's partner in crime, trust me when I tell you he needs the air system. It seems like he is always having hell with those dang bottles. I think he's jinxed in that respect.

Besides, I cleaned up crap for a month after that disc burst on that bottle. It was in a plastic box full of time slips and log books and blew that stuff everywhere.

I run a 5 lb. bottle and have one spare and so far it has worked for me.

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
I never put more than 9oz in a 10oz bottle...been lucky so far. The trick for filling is to cool the fill-e bottle as much as possible.

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What are you guys using for an on board compressor?

Posts: 27 | Location: Athens, IL. | Registered: March 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
After purchasing a new engine with a APD max speed throttle stop carb , spoke to APD about preference they suggested Co2 because of moisture . After setting up and adjusting things found out 10 oz bottle emptied in no time . Purchased solenoid and 2.5 lb bottle , only lasted 2 races . Max speed carb seems to bleed off at adjusters on for adjustment like there suppose to ? I checked all line for leaks , nothing only seemed to be at adjusters . At this point with it being hard to find any place to fill bottles and it using so much Co2 . I gave up and switched to on board air compressor . With only running it a few more times , it seeemed to work fine . I have a SS car with Co2 shifter that 10 oz bottle will last year or so , I couldn't believe how much Co2 this max speed throttle stop carb used , do other throttle stop set ups use a lot of Co2 ? This is my first experience with throttle stop , maybe I'm doing something wrong on set up on this carb ? At this point the air compressor is so hassle free at this point , even the guy who sold me the car said to stay away from Co2 and use the compressor that he had put on car . I was only following what APD said because it was a expensive set up .

Posts: 14 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
On board compressor for 2 seasons now.

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
1. I wouldn't run an air stop and

2. if I did I would have an on board compressor supplying the air to it.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I recently installed a Max Air 1250 cfm APD Carburetor with a 10oz. CO2 bottle so I am about to find out how much it uses. I don’t have room in my Roadster for a larger bottle so if there is a high usage rate it might create a problem. Filling the APD accumulator that is required may account for the initial high usage, at least I can hope that is the cause.

I will find out when I make the first runs in February. Exchanging from the primary bottle to the spare in my car takes about ten minutes.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I recently installed a Max Air 1250 cfm APD Carburetor with a 10oz. CO2 bottle so I am about to find out how much it uses. I don’t have room in my Roadster for a larger bottle so if there is a high usage rate it might create a problem. Filling the APD accumulator that is required may account for the initial high usage, at least I can hope that is the cause.

I will find out when I make the first runs in February. Exchanging from the primary bottle to the spare in my car takes about ten minutes.

Bob

Bob, I would put a 12v shut off valve on it wired to your ignition, like the one dedenbear makes. Part number ABSOV just a suggestion

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I sent markemark the PDF files for parts and instructions but he hasn’t posted them yet.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
I sent markemark the PDF files for parts and instructions but he hasn’t posted them yet.

Cashflow. I never received the pdf file that you sent. Try it again

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post