DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Anyone use Techwest for MSD repair?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use Techwest for MSD repair?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hammons Motorsports
posted
Have a issue with my 7530T box, and would like to get it repaired...

Using MSD tester, I get nothing at the plug...but the tach cycles, as do the shifter, etc....

Bill Hammons
Hammons Motorsports

Old age and treachery, if we only knew then what we know today.....

95 Spitzer, 1.041 60 ft, 4.76 @ 142.85, 1740 lbs, 421" SBC

10/9/2016: 1.049 60 ft, 4.721@143.80 at 1780 lbs.

4/15/2017: 1.017 60 ft, pedaled 4.742@134 at 1780 lbs.

Posts: 943 | Location: Georgetown, KY | Registered: May 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I tried getting ahold of them to send a couple boxes back last winter and gave up and sent them to MSD.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Used him once and was worried I would never get my box back.... very difficult to get in touch with

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammons Motorsports:
Have a issue with my 7530T box, and would like to get it repaired...

Using MSD tester, I get nothing at the plug...but the tach cycles, as do the shifter, etc....

Sounds like a bad coil,did you try a new one?

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of ROLLIN'
posted Hide Post
I have used them (Pat Collins) several times and he has fixed my two 7al-3's and 7al-2 at a very reasonable price. He will quote you up front. All have been working ever since. He is very busy and hard to get a hold of but he will return your call.

TechWest Racing Services
704-995-4286
techwest@techwestracing.com
www.techwestracing.com

Posts: 21 | Location: .002 next to you | Registered: May 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Swapped in 2 good coils...

Have a 7AL3 that I am going to wire in for S&G's....

Bill Hammons
Hammons Motorsports

Posts: 943 | Location: Georgetown, KY | Registered: May 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
He has done 4 MSD 7AL-2 boxes for me and I think he did a good job on them. He is rather hard to get a hold of but he does know what he is doing.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Call MSD for a RMA# and send it to the company that made it. They always answer the phone and have fixed everything I’ve sent to them in a timely manner.

Posts: 2435 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Call MSD for a RMA# and send it to the company that made it. They always answer the phone and have fixed everything I’ve sent to them in a timely manner.

I agree ^^^^^^

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys!

Bill Hammons
Hammons Motorsports

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I was having issues with my MSD 7AL-2 box. One pass it would run a 5.09 very next pass a 5.49 banging and popping.
I talked to MSD several times, I bought the MSD ignition tester and it tested good every time.
When I talked to MSD they said nothing was wrong with the box and led me on a wild goose chase wasting my time and money. MSD had no problem lying to me and giving me a bunch of BS run around.

Finally I talked to TechWest and told him what it was doing and he told me it was the box, what was wrong and how he fixes it. Sent it off and it came back working great.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
MSD had no problem lying to me and giving me a bunch of BS run around.

I wish some other company out there would put out a product with as many bells and whistles as MSD stuff. I love my Grid and the other components. Just hate dealing with their " our crap don't stink " attitude. EVERY time I send something back, they return it and say nothings wrong with it yet every time it's miraculously fixed.

Just sent a 7AL3 back with the 2 step function not working, shows up on my door monday in a box with no invoice, no letter, nothing. Call them and am told it tested fine, charged my $85 and what do you know? it works now.

Have a grid box that burned up 2 engines within 3 passes on nitrous. Was told it's impossible for it to not pull timing on one cylinder. Replace it and viola' the car is back to flawless. 15 passes and no piston damage.

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
The good thing about MSD is that it always comes back working,,,,,,,,, even if there was nothing wrong with it. Their policy is don't educate the competition on how to build the best box on the market.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Broken wire in coil twisted pair (black and orange)...

Got a sputter on the tester...2 in 6 tries...

Jumped around it and got a ball of blue fire from the test plug....

To late to start here...but tomorrow....

Bill Hammons
Hammons Motorsports

DRR Trophy
Picture of strictlybiz
posted Hide Post
Pat Collins at tech west is good, took me s few times to get him but I'm sending him 2 boxes. Sending **** to msd forget about it. They only fix what you tell them they don't look over everything and most of the time they say nothing is wrong with it. Pat is the best be patient he will call you back. He explains everything to you.

Posts: 12 | Location: deer park | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Your multimeter is a powerful trouble shooting tool that many avoid using or don’t understand meter troubleshooting.

Isolating a device and checking the resistance values at the device and verifying that same value at the termination point, be it a plug or terminal strip, can show the integrity of the wires and connections prior to component replacement.

Posts: 2435 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post