New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bubbas?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
guys that don't run beadlocks (myself included lol)...it's scary to look at photos of their burnouts.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Not running headlocks is not the problem (unless the tire manufacture specifics says to use beadlocks) installing screws that are too short and/or not installed properly is. I’ve run Hoosier tires on my cars including my dragster running 4.60s/7.30s without beadlocks and more importantly without screws for over decades without issue.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You just don't know, unless you know when it comes to this topic.

I have had my eyes on one that did it, and so did MT. We agreed that the screws were installed properly and were indeed penetrating through the other side of the bead. They simply pulled out. The wider the rim, the more prone to this they are too. They give 1"+_ range.

THESE tires are not to be used without beadlocks. Period. You are taking your chances if you try to get by with screwing them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6366 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
he's screwed Laughing very hard

start at 13:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjmNFoUXt9M

That was the video I was looking for

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Not running headlocks is not the problem (unless the tire manufacture specifics says to use beadlocks) installing screws that are too short and/or not installed properly is. I’ve run Hoosier tires on my cars including my dragster running 4.60s/7.30s without beadlocks and more importantly without screws for over decades without issue.

For the tire in question on the thread, the manufacture specifically says to use beadlocks. If not the result will eventually be the video you posted

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
agreed

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If this tells you anything......I would put Yen Shing's on the front of my car before I used bubba's without beadlocks.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6366 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
MT is partially at fault for creating this issue, they say beadlocks recommend and not beadlocks required on the tires and instructions.

Posts: 2405 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Well their 16 ins wide so it must be the high growth of the tire. or side wall?

Posts: 28 | Location: Rocky Mount | Registered: December 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of ROLLIN'
posted Hide Post
quote:

They are NOT 16" wide, they are 15" wide and are much narrower than the normal 17" wide x 33" tall tires. The 16" your referring to is the rim diameter and they are 35" tall. It's the narrow-ness of this tire on a 16" wide rim tends to pull it away from the bead under high wheel speed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ROLLIN',

Posts: 21 | Location: .002 next to you | Registered: May 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROLLIN':
quote:

They are NOT 16" wide, they are 15" wide and are much narrower than the normal 17" wide x 33" tall tires. The 16" your referring to is the rim diameter and they are 35" tall. It's the narrow-ness of this tire on a 16" wide rim tends to pull it away from the bead under high wheel speed.

14.5 according to their spec sheet, and I think you are exactly right about the dynamics of it. That can be mounted on up to a 17 inch wide rim according to their recommendations.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo