New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bubbas?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I know this has been beat to death. But can you run the bigs with just screws. the tires i run now are 17 wide the bigs bubbas are16 wide.What i see they are a lot taller tire 35. I just dont see the need of weight of the beadlock. 480 car. I have a set on hand ..

Posts: 28 | Location: Rocky Mount | Registered: December 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Why take the risk?

Posts: 2420 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Yes been doing it for many years

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1988 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
**** i dont make a enough wheel speed to do that lol.. look a that 2000hp supercharger on that bad boy just saying>

Posts: 28 | Location: Rocky Mount | Registered: December 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Why take the risk?

I have seen that happen on a 4.80 digger

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Tires don’t just spin off the rim and it has nothing to do with wheel speed, rather it is usually the result of improperly installed rim screws pushing the tire’s bead away from the wheel

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEm:
**** i dont make a enough wheel speed to do that lol.. look a that 2000hp supercharger on that bad boy just saying>

Dude it's a burnout, everyone has wheel speed there not to mention top end! Big Grin

I agree that if you properly screw them with the right screws you will be fine.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Btw, your 4.80 car will be a 4.90 car with those tires

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Well on my door car or dragster. i have all ways made sure that i set the bead on the tire. then i put a lot psi in them to put the screws in.THen put them at right psi. I can see the little Bubbas have some problems being because of the 13in. But the bigs are 16 in compared to 17ins that i run now.Uless the sidewall is design differnt.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Why take the risk?

Is this the same guy who goes 235 MPH without a floater rear end?? Big Grin HMMMM

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did the burn out on my 4.80 bracket car at 7000 engine RPM. I do my burn out on my blown Top Dragster at 7000 RPM so what's your point?

MT recommends beadlocks for the Bubbas for a reason.
Its your car, you would not be the first one to screw on Bubbas to the rim and if the tire comes off the rim you would not be the first to have that happen either.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Top38 not for me.I will be lucky if i make to the chrismas tree at Galot be for the tire grabs. AN i do a burnout at 6800 rpm. just saying lol ha ha

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
EXACTLY!

Big Steve...KNOWS

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hey IM' not disputing anyone on what anyone is saying . That why a am asking.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
The choice is simple, no screws or beadlocs. If the tire says beadlocs recommended, there is a reason for it.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Top38 not for me.I will be lucky if i make to the chrismas tree at Galot be for the tire grabs. AN i do a burnout at 6800 rpm. just saying lol ha ha

I should clarify, I am not saying you should but I do know of racers who have that go faster than you with no issues. I do not know how many screws they used though. Those are with Bigs, not Littles

BTW even if I had a slower car I'd still run Beadlocks for just the ease of changing tires.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
The choice is simple, no screws or beadlocs. If the tire says beadlocs recommended, there is a reason for it.

How's the project hemi coming?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Video somewhere a while back of a bracket dragster doing a burnout with bubbas and both come off the rim. There is absolutely no reason to try to run them without bead locks, it’s just a ticking time bomb on a crucial component. Wish I could find that video

Posts: 788 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have seen Bubba's properly screwed and seated, come right the he11 off the rim in a burnout. Those tires specifically call for beadlocks. Use them. Or....don't use the bubba's. Very simple.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6394 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Steve,
That should be the poster for;
What not to do! To screw or not to screw!
Still amazed at that pic!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4490 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post