Notify
Tools

Pick a cam
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Lets play pick a cam game.

Ok .For some reason I have wild hair to build a old school SBC using one of many old short block I have i garage. Engine size still up in the air.
Either one of the 283's,327's or ahigh rving combo of the two a 302. Leaning towards 302,just because I love spinning the Biden out of small block.

Engine will be going in a buggy we call it. Basicall tube chassis with roll bar,stubby windshield,two seats,florrborad and little bucket T style bed on back. What ever we come up with for front suspenion and same for raerend. I have complete 10 bolt with 3.73 gears and posi out of my old 94 Z/28 that looks like good canidate.

So there is run down although not great on detail. Heads for this are a set of iron eagle darts with 2.02/ 1.60 valves. Compression will be 10 to 11:1. Leaning towardss flat tappet solid cam. Got to have some thunp but not stupid power killing knock its **** in the dirt duration, Hydraulic not totaly out of question.

Just a fun play around the country project/

Let me hear your favorite hot street cam.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Isky Z70 I believe is the flat tappet I used to have based off the old GM 30 30

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Man figured would get lot more suggestions. So far the one I have not bad at all. Been looking at few old grinds like 327 350. Also few modern grinds that should have good thump and still be able to move before it gets to 4000 rpm.LOL

Got to admit I do love a big cam sound and if not for knowing how bad it kills performance especially down low in mild build I would be looking at 260's as at .050 duration numbers.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Comp cams 12-650-5. Or a Comp 285b6

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
B.C. thats interesting choice. Little big but not stupid big. Like solid lifter. Would give motor that mechanical sound. Got to have strong thump.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Check out the Comp Mother Thumpr offerings. (Possibly what BC Malibu suggested?).
The whole concept of that lineup is to sound like a huge cam, but still maintain driveability...

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Big Mother Thumper BBC 454.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Love the sound clips of mother thumpers. Running the numbers thru desk top syno they do not fair well on TQ nd HP compared to some others of similar duration. Guessing the open and close points maybe reason for that.

I can get by with a lot in this deal that you can't in regular street engine build. I mean hell the engine and trans are probably 60 % of weight in this thing. Molly frame,two seats, front and rear suspension a wooden bed with beer keg gas tank. How much can it weigh?

If can find me a 4 spd that can take little abuse then I can get by with more. Damn glad I avoided that growing up thing.