DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dart block heater
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dart block heater
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted
Looking for a freeze plug heater that will fit in a Dart block 1-5/8". Regular production GM applications won't work because Dart blocks are too thick in the freeze plug area, thus the curvature of the block heater element wont fit under the inside of the block.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I use standard small block ones that I get from Jegs.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
KAT11614 Just put mine in last night dart Big m block

Posts: 25 | Location: Iowa | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I ordered Kats 11607, hope they are the right ones.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
According to what I read on the 11614 it is for 40 mm hole which converts to 1.57 inches I think, the 11607 is for 41 mm which converts to 1.61 inches and 1 5/8= 1.625. Whichever works for you.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sue Kats 11612 is the one for a SBC 1 5/8 41mm and it's 600w. There's Zerostart brand that they sell at O'reilly AP for a 6.5 turbo diesel that is the same size but 1000w.
http://www.fivestarmanufacturi...complete-web-(1).pdf
https://www.oreillyauto.com/de...500-pickup-4wd?pos=2

Posts: 1454 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
You guys don't have problems with these leaking ??? I tried a Jegs version a few years ago and wasn't comfortable with the way they tightened up, so never used them. Thinking of using them on my new build.

Any tricks ???

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
No leakage on mine, I just use some silicon around the o-ring then install. I ordered new one because one of mine quit working.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I use two 600 watt ones, one in each side and will plug one in between rounds in cold weather to keep it warm. If I put 1000 watt ones in I would have to take my bigger generator to use them both. Honda is 2000 but not continuous use at 2000

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys don't have problems with these leaking ??? I tried a Jegs version a few years ago and wasn't comfortable with the way they tightened up, so never used them.

You'll recall when Jeggie ended up on his roof was when they started using screw-in freeze plugs in pro stock.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2334 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I got an engine diaper so I got it covered plus I know plenty of people using them with zero issues.

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
I ordered Kats 11607, hope they are the right ones.

I'd like to see the physical difference between the 11607 and the 11612. Both are 41mm. I've got a brand new 11612 on the bench for my new motor.

Posts: 1454 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
I’ve always bought the Jegs ones.

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if I got the right ones because my buddy ordered them for me last year and I didn’t try finding any paper work just looked up online.

DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
Clint (green1) , Dont you run gas ? Why you need block heaters ?

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
I am on gas and use them in both cars to keep heat in them during the cooler months. I also drape a moving blanket over the dragster motor to help keep heat in the engine. Camaro hood keeps A good amount of heat under it.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Yes Keith I run gas. I just use them to get some heat in the motor while waiting to start time runs in cooler weather, the electric is usually free. Also as you know it gets quite cold at the classic. I save a ton of gas by using the heater to preheat or keep motor warm between rounds in cooler weather.

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
One thing about coolant block heaters, don't have them plugged in with the engine running or the water pump running. They are like the element in your electric water heater at home, if there are bubbles it will burn out the element.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If somebody wants to PM me their email or cell number I can send them picture showing 11612 and 11607 side by side showing the difference. I don’t know how to post pictures on here.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Eman...Not arguing with you, but why would a bubble cause a heating element to burn out?

Posts: 227 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post