DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Anyone build their own wing for door car?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone build their own wing for door car?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Thinking of building my own wing. Seems like basic fab work. Anyone have any tips, or better yet pictures of the build?

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
Yes, think it out, and make use of some poster boards, to simulate what you want. Painters tape to hold the posterboard, and mark it up how you want.
I used .060 for the main part, so it could be strutless, and .040 for the side panels.
What car are you planning to build a wing for ?
I cant post pics from the work computer, but I can email them to you.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KWig:
Yes, think it out, and make use of some poster boards, to simulate what you want. Painters tape to hold the posterboard, and mark it up how you want.
I used .060 for the main part, so it could be strutless, and .040 for the side panels.
What car are you planning to build a wing for ?
I cant post pics from the work computer, but I can email them to you.

PM sent

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Built one for my Camaro. Might not be as fancy or pretty as a store bought one but it does exactly what I wanted it to do. The only thing I would have done differently would be to make an adjustable wickerbill but that also requires a lot of testing to see what height works best.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
I've built 2 for my own cars over the years. I looked up a lot of images for wings and got some ideas, then used some of what I saw and what I wanted and built templates for the side panels and carb board deck pans. Take them all up trim a little more add a little more to get the look you want. Over all they are very easy to build with a little sheet metal experience and maybe a trip to a sheet metal shop to use their brake to bend the deck pan up. Around here the circle trackers use a single sided alum sheets you can but them pretty cheap, I use black sided last time and painted the side panels the body color and left the deck panel black.
The biggest mistake I see most doing are not adding a 1/4" wicker bill on the very back of the deck, and alot of people add too much angle of attach on the deck panel. Do a little research you find most dont need any angle really.

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have found that the backing board for pictures makes better templates than poster board because it is thicker. I found it while wandering around in Hobby Lobby with my wife. More expensive than poster board, but it does make better patterns.

Posts: 51 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
Thinking of building my own wing. Seems like basic fab work. Anyone have any tips, or better yet pictures of the build?

Isn’t your car raced 1/8th mile and a 6.0 piece at best? If so you don’t need a wing. My Firebird has been 5.50 and 8.72 and countless other cars run much quicker than 6.0 without a wing.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Well your firebird does have a factory wing and is very aero and maybe he just likes the look

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It does not have a wing. Nothing to like about it, ugly as shyt.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Speaking of a wing that looks like shyt

Posts: 2416 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
agreed as does many of the 405 last night but that entire car is a shyt box or at least it was when I saw it at the 2019 PRI show

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Speaking of a wing that looks like shyt

Lets see. A wing for Monday, One for Tuesday ETC.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
That basic white ***** trans am on 1320s profile looks like shyt too but obviously he still sinks money into it. If I were you and had access to some basic sheet metal equipment, I’d just search a bunch of other cars wing designs and figure out what you want. Come up with a side profile, buy some wing struts off quartermax, and to crap with what anyone thinks because you built it and didn’t buy it with the rest of the joneses like ole Ed lmao. Do you need it that speed? Probably not. Does it look good and you made it? Hell yeah. And that’s all that matters

James Stringer

Posts: 36 | Location: Georgia | Registered: November 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
another jealous nobody with junk that ain't got shyt nor done shyt worth talking about and jamesy boy it's a Firebird and a Best Engineered one at that! Spitting

that said, he DEFINITELY does not need it at that speed and it does not look good.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I agree with people adding too much angle. I've noticed more people building them dead flat and just utilizing the wicker bill for all downforce.

Anyone know why wicker has more of an effect than angle, or how it works?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree with people adding too much angle. I've noticed more people building them dead flat and just utilizing the wicker bill for all downforce.

A wing on a door car isn't relying so much on downforce like a dragster, it's more about cleaning up the swirling air behind the car that makes the back end light. Look at a Pro-Stock car... wing is flat but long.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
quote:

A wing on a door car isn't relying so much on downforce like a dragster, it's more about cleaning up the swirling air behind the car that makes the back end light. Look at a Pro-Stock car... wing is flat but long.

Thanks,

I will take a look

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
quote:

Yes, remember a wing is the ugly thing standing off the trunk of boosted promods and a spoiler is relatively flat with a wicker bill. Wings create downforce, spoilers take away lift. I agree that you probably don't need a wing or a spoiler. My Nova benefitted from a spoiler in the 8.40/160 range, however my roadster goes 8.60/157 and doesn't even wiggle, so I didn't see the need for one, especially running 1/8 most of the time.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The only similarities a bracket door car and a pro mod/pro stock have in common are a steering wheel and 4 tires.

That said, if the OP likes and wants a wing on his car it doesn’t matter what anyone says here, he will/should do it. My statement was made because he may not know he doesn’t need it.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
The only similarities a bracket door car and a pro mod/pro stock have in common are a steering wheel and 4 tires.

That might be going a bit far.....lol.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post