DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Anyone build their own wing for door car?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone build their own wing for door car?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyone know why wicker has more of an effect than angle, or how it works?

Originally invented by race car driver Dan Gurney in the early 1970's and is still often called a Gurney flap. He attached it to his formula one car and lied about its purpose so other teams didn't copy the idea. The very basic design simply adds downforce far better than any angled spoiler with far less material. Once other racers caught on to the idea, they tried a lot of different things like height and angle but the original simple design is what still dominates.

Aircraft such as crop duster apply it in the opposite direction pointed downward to increase lift. There are also helicopters that utilize the flap for the same reason.

For drag racers, all that downforce at the back is nice however in road course car, the front end may become too light and will have understeer. Front spoilers were then added to apply downforce in the front as well.

Like I said about mine, I never made it adjustable. I have it set a 3/4" above the spoiler. Maybe 1/2" would decrease downforce and make the car faster but what I have works fine. It's solidly built that I could push the car by pushing on the wing. Total cost to build my wing was around $200

Posts: 1353 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post