DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Rebuilding steering gear box?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebuilding steering gear box?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
The last few steering gear boxes I installed were built by some reman factory. I was not impressed one bit. Some leaked some had more play in them. I noticed on Rock Auto that they sell rebuild kits. I have never rebuilt one. build trans.rears motors.etc. How bad is it?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I put in a new one (not reman) from RA and it still has some play.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Manual or power steering? Manual is pretty straight foward. PS is a pain, it's been a lot of decades since I was into one. On manual boxes what grease are you using? Constant velocity joint grease or 00 weight grease works, some call it corn head grease also.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Its manual. Might try Lucas for grease.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Talk to Josh Bertschy at Steerco Performance. His shop is here in Fort Worth, I'd say his rebuild quality is better than most. He puts alot of time into improving OE designs to make them last longer or function better. I've walked through his shop and it's clean, organized, and full of staff that know their stuff.

He's not your typical "reman factory". He starts with cores and fixes them right, doesn't just slap a new bearing in here or there and send it back out. Think he has 6 or 8 shop guys and they are dedicated to one function each, assembly line model. Two are machinists - one lathe, one mill.

He races a trophy truck in Baja and other desert series, he's not afraid to beat on his own products.

817-626-9006

Posts: 34 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
https://redheadsteeringgears.com/

I've had great luck with these guys. My 72 Blazer box was unique for some odd reason and they rebuild my original. It was tight as shyt and perfect. I've used them for manual and power GM boxes and it's a simple exchange.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post