DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Has anyone sleeved a 632 Merlin III?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone sleeved a 632 Merlin III?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted
Found a crack in #4, in the middle of bore & not in any bolt holes......

Posts: 255 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sleeve it, don't see why there would be an issue

Posts: 606 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
I had it mag'd today, no crack....just a stain of some sort., engine guy didn't think there was enough material to sleeve it, close to bolt holes & in between cylinders.

Posts: 255 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Might be a pin hole. Pressure test the block. I had one once that had me chasing it until I found it.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
I know your talking about a Merlin block.
For what it's worth I just sleeved a Dart block.
Darton sleeve suggested a 4.700 ductile iron sleeve.
Seems like it took forever to bore to 4.7.
Pressed it in and bored to 4.6.
Those ductile sleeves are very hard.
Had to cut it with my chop saw to get it close to cylinder length.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a dart block also getting sleeved and finish sized at 4.600 with no issues.. same as Bruce said above.. (this is a "new" build, not my crazy 533" lol)

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post