Bracket Talk
Switch from ringless to Ringed Input

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/8737057286

March 09, 2019, 02:05 PM
BJs Wild Ride
Switch from ringless to Ringed Input
I want to put a stock ringed coarse spline input shaft in my old Abruzzi T/D trans. It currently has a ringless fine spline. A couple people have told me they could look at it and tell but it was hard to describe how to measure correctly. Anybody have any pictures or anything that would point me in the right direction?

If it’s any harder than just switching shafts I have a stock case shorty and a gear set ready to go in, just looking for a quick way to stick the good trans in behind a coarse spline converter.
March 10, 2019, 04:03 PM
BJs Wild Ride
Bump.
March 10, 2019, 08:31 PM
rusty
are you talking about a power-glide spline vs turbo? i think your question is how to see if the power-glide shaft will fit where a ring less turbo shaft was used?if so there is a good chance the clearance will be off where the rings are and possibly the length.the pump stator tube is where the clearance issue will be i think.im sure someone will share better input

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

March 10, 2019, 10:22 PM
BJs Wild Ride
Correct. Trans has a ringless shaft for a turbo spline converter. I have a glide spline converter I want to use because I know it will work very well behind this engine. I also have the input shaft that I used to run this converter with, but that was in a stock pump trans.
March 11, 2019, 04:25 PM
rusty
i think you should be fine useing teflon rings.not sure on exact numbers but steel ring might be too tight in tube.the stator tube is made smaller for the ringless shaft to aid in oil flow for cooler circuit.as i understand it

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

March 15, 2019, 04:15 PM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
Correct. Trans has a ringless shaft for a turbo spline converter. I have a glide spline converter I want to use because I know it will work very well behind this engine. I also have the input shaft that I used to run this converter with, but that was in a stock pump trans.

If the ringless shaft is a 1" shaft, typically the rings are bushings in a 400 turbo stator tube. If this is the case, you'd need to change out the pump in order to use a ringed PG spline shaft in conjunction with the powerglide spline torque converter you'd like to use behind this engine. The other better option is freshen the converter you wanna use,turbo spline. A ringless shaft is typically good to 2,000hp, while a PG spline ringed shaft is typically good to 600-700 hp, possibly.
March 15, 2019, 05:27 PM
Mike Rietow

March 15, 2019, 06:59 PM
BJs Wild Ride
Didn’t really think about changing the converter splines. Kinda hate to do that since it’s zero runs from fresh. Was behind about 875 hp last time I used it, current motor will be less than that on it’s best day.

Probably going to assemble a stock case, stock pump deal with a 1.69 tomorrow for this car and quit worrying about it.
March 15, 2019, 07:37 PM
Mike Rietow
I was thinking you were working with a TD car,,,> TD transmission. A powerglide spline ringed input is actually a little stronger than a ringed turbo spline input shaft, w/journal. Kinda like a more modern day high flow turbo spline w/no journal, is. I don't see any problem with using it at all, with the new info you've added. I am curious why you don't opt to drop a pump/w/stock PG stator tube in the TD transmission. Set the end play and go, but I'm sure you have good reason. Good luck

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,
March 17, 2019, 10:18 AM
BJs Wild Ride
Thanks Mike. “T/D trans” as in that was what Abruzzi built it for. Whenever I find a full length gearset that trans will become the spare for my T/S car since we no longer have a T/D, just a bracket beater.

I got the stock pump, stock case 1.69 together and ready to go in.... I think. I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to assembling PGs.

Funny thing is when I bought this stock case shorty the guy told me it had a cut down 1.82 which was fine for the bone stock 454 I originally bolted it to. Figured I needed something better for the new 511 motor so better install this 1.69 I had sitting here. Turned out the trans had a cut down 1.76 the whole time, so probably could have just left it in there since we won’t be running this 511 very hard to start with. At least i know for sure the input will fail before the gearset now.
March 17, 2019, 12:23 PM
Mike Rietow
You got it, If you come across anything you're unsure of , keep it here. I'll see if I can give ya a hand. Should be good, I like what a 1.69 low gear will do to a torque converter, for bracket racing. Good luck