DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fast Dragster Races
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fast Dragster Races
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
With all the popularity of the fast door car races as of late, what kind of interest is there in fast dragster races?

How fast can they go at sanctioned tracks before equipment is an issue? Are they restricted by TD rules?

Outlaw dragster racing seems like it would be a fun thing to watch. Just don't know what all would be behind it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Under NHRA rules With a 6.00 chassis cert and Adv-ET license 3.66 in the 1/8th and 6.00 in the 1/4.

Posts: 2395 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
With as fast as a lot of the big block blower cars are, that would be an index race. I thought I remembered some non sanctioned tracks having outlaw races.
Maybe a tire limitation would make for some interesting fast racing.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
3.66 in the 1/8th is in the 5.70-80 range in the 1/4 I bet.

Posts: 2395 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

Maybe 1/8 mile racing would have some parity then? Anyhow. It would be pretty cool to watch. Not sure I will ever see it. How about on 10.5" tires? Kinda serious.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I think Ohiowiremafia guy did some 10.5 dragster racing. It could be a way for light cars to get in there and swing with big blown cars. And maybe the 1/8 mile could result in some additional gear ratio abilities for lower powered cars. Managing traction would be important for all I would think.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
With some research Ultimate Dragster 10.5 yielded some info. No nitro, 10.5 tire. .400 tree. Some was 1/4 mile racing though.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

Went 3.67@199 in 1/8 and was 5.71 at 252 1/4 so Big Steve is about dead on.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4158 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Was watching some door car action on youtube this weekend 190 or so 1/8th mile. I don't know what tire they were limited to. That's kind of attention getting at that weight.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
Throw some pro bracket radials on them pipe racks and let em eat!!!

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We do it in TN. Run whatcha brung. Period.

Phillip Oakley won at least one race in his T/D. I guarantee he didn’t have the most power that day but he made 3 solid passes to get there first.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
We do it in TN. Run whatcha brung. Period.

Phillip Oakley won at least one race in his T/D. I guarantee he didn’t have the most power that day but he made 3 solid passes to get there first.

Certain tire? Any rules?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
As far as I know the 10.5 only lasted the one season and was held at Indy. I cant remember how fast I watched the blower cars go on the 10.5...3.90's-4.0's maybe...

With the popularity in small tire racing, you would think that this would take off and be a fun series with lots of support. I think in order for it to ever be successful you would need to write the rules much like a radial tire class with weights for certain combos...make it a heads up pro tree class.

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
Throw some pro bracket radials on them pipe racks and let em eat!!!

I've had Pro 275s mounted on my car a couple times...never a chance to actually try it. It would be interesting to see what a 315 radial would do...might be surprising...might need to weld it all back together after the shake. I would absolutely try it though.

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
personally I don't care how fast they go it's still as exciting as watching paint dry!

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
quote:
personally I don't care how fast they go it's still as exciting as watching paint dry!

I would have to agree, unless you have one they are all the same. After having one, the door cars are hard for me to watch.

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:

Fortunately I don’t drive it for your entertainment.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted Hide Post
They run an open outlaw deal down here in Florida. Bradenton Motorsports Park once a month at their heads up madness races. Sometimes it is hard to get a full field, but the ones that do show up are usually very fast. Have seen the top half of the field all sub 3.9's.

Posts: 685 | Location: Anderson SC. | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freddie:
They run an open outlaw deal down here in Florida. Bradenton Motorsports Park once a month at their heads up madness races. Sometimes it is hard to get a full field, but the ones that do show up are usually very fast. Have seen the top half of the field all sub 3.9's.

Problem is they cancelled the class. I was asked to run in the class and told them I'd love to once I got my car sorted out on alky. Too late......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freddie:

That series is dead at Bradenton.

It will now be run at Showtime in St. Pete.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3095 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post