DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fast Dragster Races
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fast Dragster Races
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Interesting you guys should bring this up. My son Curtis and I have been helping a couple of the Big Tire Street Outlaw cars run for about two years. Have tons on fun with them. We both also have blown alcohol dragsters and don't like bracket racing. So this year we have started a new class with much of the Street Outlaw format. It will be a Run What ya Brung class , heads up 4/10 pro tree. 1/8 mile format. Any combination of power adders including nitro. Dragsters...altered...funny cars... Pro mods...etc. we have 5 races scheduled. Lots of interest,...but we will see how it goes.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron C.:
Interesting you guys should bring this up. My son Curtis and I have been helping a couple of the Big Tire Street Outlaw cars run for about two years. Have tons on fun with them. We both also have blown alcohol dragsters and don't like bracket racing. So this year we have started a new class with much of the Street Outlaw format. It will be a Run What ya Brung class , heads up 4/10 pro tree. 1/8 mile format. Any combination of power adders including nitro. Dragsters...altered...funny cars... Pro mods...etc. we have 5 races scheduled. Lots of interest,...but we will see how it goes.

Like to ask you questions..
Is this a ladder format? Do you race one person than done like outlaws or is there one overall winner? Is money an attraction?
Will et limits for the track become an issue?

But most of all, how do you keep this going?
I suspect after the first race, everyone knows who has the biggest and littlest johnsons. Those in the top half that know they can take a swing at it keep coming back. But the bottom half may fall to attrition after a couple races. How do you keep that from happening with no equalizer for the field?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6382 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
We do it in TN. Run whatcha brung. Period.

Phillip Oakley won at least one race in his T/D. I guarantee he didn’t have the most power that day but he made 3 solid passes to get there first.

Certain tire? Any rules?

Run

Whatcha

Brung

If you can stage it you can race it. Track might be flypaper or barely there, no promises. It’s never intentionally no prep but I bet we’ve had tracks that were slicker than most of the tv show stuff. Have also had tracks that would hold better than an NHRA Friday night track (I know because I went from one to the other and drove right up into tire smoke on a good NHRA track, no rebound, just not enough teeth). I think the inconsistency in the tracks, while not intentional, helps a little with parity. Mostly though it’s a family affair. My doorcar (there’s a class for those too) will be well off the pace of the field this year but I’m still going to go as often as I can because it’s still heads up drag racing with a bunch of great people. That’s the only way this would work, it’s because of the people.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:
Originally posted by Freddie:
They run an open outlaw deal down here in Florida. Bradenton Motorsports Park once a month at their heads up madness races. Sometimes it is hard to get a full field, but the ones that do show up are usually very fast. Have seen the top half of the field all sub 3.9's.

Problem is they cancelled the class. I was asked to run in the class and told them I'd love to once I got my car sorted out on alky. Too late......

Did not realize they canceled the series, that shows how often we race there... LOL... We took two years off to finish some housing projects, and to get our new business settled, and I guess alot has changed. BMP never did get the showing that they did when they ran it at St. Pete. We are planning on sticking to divisional races for a while anyway, but wish them the best.

Posts: 685 | Location: Anderson SC. | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
For as many people that whine about dragsters being boring I think it’s more boring to watch track crews clean up 1/8 mile of oil every three runs or spend 2 hours repairing gairdrail so cars can run again which has Been my experience every time I attend a “street outlaw” or no-prep or whatever type race. Scoreboards are off but most “fast” cars aren’t even fast unless you count the feet per second fluid and parts are falling off.

Honestly none of it outside of nitro is very fan friendly, if you want fans book funny car chaos or something similar (Scott Palmer puts on a great show at our local track every year)but you can’t make a track survive off fans. Theaters, golf courses, pro sports can barely get by in most communities so it’s a bad business model. You need weekly racers to keep the doors open, fans are a bonus. Now a fun series that bring out the races is a great idea and sustaining it is the trick. They are doing a run what you brung heads up class (funny car, dragster, altered, Pro mod) to a local track and I’m looking forward to it, they scheduled it around divisional and funny car chaos races so t/d and funny’s car guys can use it like a test, I hope it works out good...but once again a strong bracket program is probably best bet.

One last thing on dragsters and fans...we had a big outlaw something or other race last season, they paid these dudes a ton to come in. Lots of fans showed up and they are shutting off struggling to get a 1/8 pas in tagging walls and oiling the track. D/A was not good but we ran out to test for the D5 race in Topeka. Felt bad for the track, told them to turn on 1/4 mile clocks, pulled a bunch of timing and got real loose at 1000 feet and shut off, went 214mph or something...I had kids and fans lined up around the trailer asking if I would be making another 200mph pass. We did, they weren’t even hard passes and I shut off on purpose before 1000 to save myself the drama. Point is, they were watching the scoreboards for a big number...not to see if trashcan bob was going to outrun jimmy three fingers in the duplex cuda or whatever fake backstory the car hacks were selling.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
You count the feet per second fluid and parts are falling off.

Trashcan Bob

Jimmy three fingers LMAO. That made my day

We had a "No Neck Donny" with us. Guy was a trip.

One day we lost him at the track. "No Neck" found him in the SH passed out. Sittin on the ** with a MGD holding on for dear life.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NEMO963:
For as many people that whine about dragsters being boring I think it’s more boring to watch track crews clean up 1/8 mile of oil every three runs or spend 2 hours repairing gairdrail so cars can run again which has Been my experience every time I attend a “street outlaw” or no-prep or whatever type race. Scoreboards are off but most “fast” cars aren’t even fast unless you count the feet per second fluid and parts are falling off.

Honestly none of it outside of nitro is very fan friendly, if you want fans book funny car chaos or something similar (Scott Palmer puts on a great show at our local track every year)but you can’t make a track survive off fans. Theaters, golf courses, pro sports can barely get by in most communities so it’s a bad business model. You need weekly racers to keep the doors open, fans are a bonus. Now a fun series that bring out the races is a great idea and sustaining it is the trick. They are doing a run what you brung heads up class (funny car, dragster, altered, Pro mod) to a local track and I’m looking forward to it, they scheduled it around divisional and funny car chaos races so t/d and funny’s car guys can use it like a test, I hope it works out good...but once again a strong bracket program is probably best bet.

One last thing on dragsters and fans...we had a big outlaw something or other race last season, they paid these dudes a ton to come in. Lots of fans showed up and they are shutting off struggling to get a 1/8 pas in tagging walls and oiling the track. D/A was not good but we ran out to test for the D5 race in Topeka. Felt bad for the track, told them to turn on 1/4 mile clocks, pulled a bunch of timing and got real loose at 1000 feet and shut off, went 214mph or something...I had kids and fans lined up around the trailer asking if I would be making another 200mph pass. We did, they weren’t even hard passes and I shut off on purpose before 1000 to save myself the drama. Point is, they were watching the scoreboards for a big number...not to see if trashcan bob was going to outrun jimmy three fingers in the duplex cuda or whatever fake backstory the car hacks were selling.

Like. Big Grin

We had one of the Outlaws show up paid was my guess, at our local track. Testing I guess. I kid you not, parked in the staging lanes rig and all. I don't know if they put him there for traffic or what. Hell I wanted to see him run. He ****ed around on the laptop for two hours, we were done racing and eating, so finally we left. Think later he made an attempt at the track. Drama! Guess that is sometimes what sells.

I think a simple outlaw dragster deal 1/8 mile, heads up .400, 10.5 tire would get some participation and excitement. But most tracks have their hands full with the programs they already have. So they only want to add where there is money to be made. This would be a small field most likely and pretty limited for spectators. Probably not a net positive. Setting up a club could work. We have a super comp club that has been around forever. You pay the club for the race. You pay the track a fee to get in an participate with the club. They get paid. We race. Not much risk in it for anyone. The club pays out based on car count.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6382 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Glad my sarcasm was easily detectable. No prep outlaw stuff is big around here so it wears on me. I plan on supporting the heads up series and to be honest I like going to the local track and making fast passes on bracket night or whenever they pay some hacks to come in and put on a “show”..it’s fun to steel their thunder...they paid tens of thousands last time for a couple aborted passes.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glad my sarcasm was easily detectable. No prep outlaw stuff is big around here so it wears on me. I plan on supporting the heads up series and to be honest I like going to the local track and making fast passes on bracket night or whenever they pay some hacks to come in and put on a “show”..it’s fun to steel their thunder...they paid tens of thousands last time for a couple aborted passes.

That is just money down the drain for the track. And unhappy fans.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Point is, they were watching the scoreboards for a big number...not to see if trashcan bob was going to outrun jimmy three fingers in the duplex cuda or whatever fake backstory the car hacks were selling.

Lol, best thing I read all day. Yes, fans want to see numbers. Then they can tell people they saw a 3.99, instead of "he looked fast!"

I have also seen the "He was on TV once so he's important" guy who puts his car on pro jacks and aborts 3 out of 3 runs.

Posts: 287 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can see this working. Love the any power adders part. Might want to limit it to one power adder or I can see it becoming a mini T/F deal. Think about it NHRA A/f cars are in 5.1___ range and on the way to first 300 mph in a year or two at current trend.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4180 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
That was my experience (lots of unhappy fans, probably why they flocked down to a middle of the pack T/D to take pictures with their kids and ask about the car). They must all park in the staging lanes, they do the same here.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
I talked to that track manager (now gone) after that weekend and they asked what it would take to get a group of us to come down and put on a show. I thought "shoot high" so told her start out with a 8 car qualified field (Dragster, funny car, altered, pro mod, whatever). No entry fee, if you make all three qualifying passes you get $50 (up to 4 cars...assuming 12 showed), if there is more than 8 cars and you qualify you get $100. You get $100 for each round win and $100 bonus for elimination runs runs over 200 mph (win or lose, trying to get guys to run to the finnish line under power). Winner gets $5k and runner up gets $2500 (no round money or qualifying money, or 200mph money for them, thats total). Basically worst case scenario it cost the track $10k which was less than half what they had just paid for the no-prep guys so they like the plan but they are gone now...we will see what this year brings at our other local track and the head up thing...not sure what they have planned.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

Like to ask you questions..
Is this a ladder format? Do you race one person than done like outlaws or is there one overall winner? Is money an attraction?
Will et limits for the track become an issue?

But most of all, how do you keep this going?
I suspect after the first race, everyone knows who has the biggest and littlest johnsons. Those in the top half that know they can take a swing at it keep coming back. But the bottom half may fall to attrition after a couple races. How do you keep that from happening with no equalizer for the field?
. You draw out of a hat for opponent and Lane. Eliminations down to one winner. Our goal is to get the purse up into the 3500-5000 area. All entry money goes back into,purse. 1/8 mile allows more shut down area at some track we run at even though they are set up for 1/4 mile. No time racing.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rick!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
You count the feet per second fluid and parts are falling off.

Trashcan Bob

Jimmy three fingers LMAO. That made my day

We had a "No Neck Donny" with us. Guy was a trip.

One day we lost him at the track. "No Neck" found him in the SH passed out. Sittin on the ** with a MGD holding on for dear life.

Jimmy 3 Fingers? I knew a Jimmy from MN with 3 fingers and a Hemi Cuda. Can't be two of them can there? Smile

Posts: 81 | Location: behind this screen | Registered: July 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bobalbertyjr
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are doing a run what you brung heads up class (funny car, dragster, altered, Pro mod) to a local track and I’m looking forward to it, they scheduled it around divisional and funny car chaos races so t/d and funny’s car guys can use it like a test, I hope it works out good...but once again a strong bracket program is probably best bet.

More info please

Posts: 36 | Location: Broken Arrow Oklahoma | Registered: July 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
No much in the way of details yet, it’s on Mid America Dragway (arkcity Ks) Facebook page in the schedule as “heads up series”, was told heads you run whatcha brung, 1/8 any car type any lower adder.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB