DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Deep Cycle battery maintenance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deep Cycle battery maintenance
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted
I've got a deep cycle 12v battery in my enclosed, it's used to operate the winch, trailer jack and interior lights. What is the best way to maintain it and charge it? From what I've read it should be recharged at a higher rate than a trickle charger. Can you use a battery maintainer on a deep cycle? Is it necessary?

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
im no expert but i keep a maintainer on everyting i can.all of those batteries last well.all are wet cell.keeping water level completely full is important.distilled

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I run 29DC batteries everywhere they will fit. I even converted my 48 volt golf cart over to them, and I keep a 1 amp maintainer on them whenever I am not using them. I normally get 4+ years out of them which is about normal for any battery here in the desert. The DC's are in my race trailer, on the tongues for the electric jacks, and in my work truck for starting and in the bed for the welder and air compressor. Even the race car has 2 29DC in the back.I have all the maintainers hard wired so all I have to do is unplug and go.

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
I've got a deep cycle 12v battery in my enclosed, it's used to operate the winch, trailer jack and interior lights.

so do I and the only love it gets is it goes on the charger once at the beginning of the season to bring it up to full charge.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I've got a deep cycle RV battery in my trailer (one of the ones that weighs 135 lbs), AGM style...This last season it got charged between races at home with a trickle charger and I put the charger on it from time to time now, just due to the cold.....Deep cycle like to be charged slowly at low amperage...too fast will kill them....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
The two batteries in the trailer are 31 series truck batteries. I have a separate 12 Volt line feed that charges both batteries while on the big road. Off season, yes a trickle charge is always best. Same for the car. 1 red top in the car. Same battery for 7.5 years. Trickle charge.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I've got a deep cycle RV battery in my trailer (one of the ones that weighs 135 lbs), AGM style...This last season it got charged between races at home with a trickle charger and I put the charger on it from time to time now, just due to the cold..... Deep cycle like to be charged slowly at low amperage...too fast will kill them ....

This ^^^^

Deep cycle means long, low amperage discharge, long, low amperage recharge.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1654 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post