DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    fighting high rpm through the traps
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fighting high rpm through the traps
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

I've got a 9" converter which slips 9.5% at 5.19 131mph carrying 3000 lbs with a 4.51 gear crossing 7800 rpm 1050 hp. I need that same converter to slip 6 - 7% crossing 8300 - 8400 rpm with the same 87" rollout tire at the stripe, with 137 - 138 mph power, [b]what gear will I need to accomplish this off the trailer?

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Kelley:
quote:

I've got a 9" converter which slips 9.5% at 5.19 131mph carrying 3000 lbs with a 4.51 gear crossing 7800 rpm 1050 hp. I need that same converter to slip 6 - 7% crossing 8300 - 8400 rpm with the same 87" rollout tire at the stripe, with 137 - 138 mph power, [b]what gear will I need to accomplish this off the trailer?

8300 - 8400 rpm, I wish we were working with 9400 rpm.

So tell me something, I'm curious. What's the mph and percentage of tire growth 10% or 20%? I'm presuming it's a 35" tire Big Bubba? Correct?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
So tell me something, I'm curious. What's the mph and percentage of tire growth 10% or 20%? I'm presuming it's a 35" tire Big Bubba? Correct?

how about taking all your intelligence,data,equations and formulas and helping figure out what stator I should change to so I fall back a bit less on my shift and stay closer to 8000 on the big end...without changing gears or installing dump valves.
otherwise you have been totally unhelpfull and more arguementive

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:

how about taking all your intelligence,data,equations and formulas and helping figure out what stator I should change to so I fall back a bit less on my shift and stay closer to 8000 on the big end...without changing gears or installing dump valves.
otherwise you have been totally unhelpfull and more arguementive

That's what is happening, progress is just slow moving. I'm coming up with 10% tire growth at 6% converter slip on your car at around 220 mph. That's a low percentage of tire growth for 200 plus mph which means it's a low energy loss tire, low rolling resistance - fast tire. Anyway the graph we've been dissecting is based around a 4.10 gear assuming the same tire is in play and the mph is around 223-225, this is why I asked for the mph and tire growth. The problem with merely changing the stator is you'll most likely slow down. If it doesn't bother you to slow down, you could just pour heavier oil in the transmission.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
FWIW the Big Bubbas are a low growth tire......and fast.

I believe he is running those

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
To the doubters out there. Ford had a lock up converter (AOD) 30 years ago that wasn't electronic or needed anything special. Several converter companies are working with same style setup.

Jenvet, im not sure if your stator needs changed or if you need to put more pump to it. If you are trying to change stator, I would go up 5 degrees.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The more precise the inputs, the more precise the outputs. It's math, Jen.

I'm having to coax the inputs out into the open.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You dont even have my graph up..that's someone else's

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Your not going to be very precise analyzing someone else's graph

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The common denominator is the tire growth. With a 4.10 gear in your car, 0% converter slip at the stripe, you cross at a lower rpm than you are now 8300 (10% tire growth), with a quicker et.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
The common denominator is the tire growth. With a 4.10 gear in your car, 0% converter slip at the stripe, you cross at a lower rpm than you are now 8300 (10% tire growth), with a quicker et.

I would love to see that thing with a 4.10 gear!!! Maybe he could try and do his Big Daddy impersonation too Big Grin

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Hypothetically, if you just changed the gear 4.10, that change will take the converter from slipping 6% to 3%. With 3% you'd cross 100 rpms higher than you are now. You don't wanna do that because you'd be going backwards, so this means you gotta change the gear and the stator, unless you don't mind slowing down. You could just poor heavier oil in it to lower the finish line rpm when it's fast out (good conditions).

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My racepak says I'm slipping at 8 to 9% not 6%

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If your graph is the first post of the thread, it's slipping 6%. What are the inputs to come up with 9%? I have 7900 and 8400 for 6%.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:

I would love to see that thing with a 4.10 gear!!! Maybe he could try and do his Big Daddy impersonation too Big Grin

I can dig it.

1.69 x 4.10 692SLR
1.80 x 3.90 702SLR

DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
This guy is fried.
Do a little research.
quote:

from one of his pals--
ReplyQuote

Life's a Drag
Joined Sep 16, 2013
47,361 Posts
#52 • 1 day ago
Bump for that Floriduh douchenozzle.......

Mikey Rietow / Ripper / Cynic / Data Into Code / Hates Alive / Nosjunky / Whatever the **** he's calling himself today

► Show Full Signature

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 82 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
quote:

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 82 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The Evidence is right here, the track official invented a story out of thin air to put the wagon back in the race and in the final round 45 minutes after loading his car in his trailer after being declared loser in this race you can see for yourself the Nova won.

This is the thorn Sammy can't stop scratching internet stalking for two plus years.

Sammy is no different than the liberals running a smear campaign on Trump with their fake impeachment.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
We may as well get back on topic. While Sammy has been internet stalking 2 plus years, I just need to do a better job of not feeding the Liberals.

I'm working on a couple transmissions for a car we're gonna race in the DXP Street class at Lights Out. Both will have identical stator tubes, input shafts and orifice sizes on both sides of the converter, feed and lube. We're also gonna have two different rear gear ratios to work with on hand. The transmissions will have different low gear ratios. The converter will be a rare 9" Cortina core converter PTC recently reconfigured abiding to 1200hp 6800-7000 stall, originally out of a Australian Ford production car. The transmission we anticipate to run in conjunction with the lower numerical rear gear of the two will have a lower converter pressure, so I'll have data which will indicate exactly how all this plays a role on the torque converter efficiency if we aren't satisfactory up to speed, off the trailer. If we are up to speed satisfactory, I'll at the very least have off the trailer data that may be beneficial for some here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
FWIW the Big Bubbas are a low growth tire......and fast.

I believe he is running those

I tried a mickey 10.5 on a 15" on the dragster and expected my rpm to be much higher than it turned out being. That tire was shorter than my Hoosier, but the rpm didn't show it. I figured that 10.5 must have been growing a good amount? I have never seen anything indicating what growth on their tires is.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post